Solar-powered dowel-sawing machine is a perfect desktop distraction

18 Responses to “Solar-powered dowel-sawing machine is a perfect desktop distraction”

1. Ian Wood says:

BEAM bots! I once built a BEAM cockroach. Photophobic little circuit board on tiny wheels that hangs out under the edges of cupboards, comes out at night, and scurries back to the corners when you turn on the light.

• SamSam says:

That sounds great. Is there a link to how it was made?

How did you make it come out at night? I could imagine creating something that moved away from the light (using two photoresistors as antennae), but I would imagine it would just end up under the couch and never both to come out again.

I want to make some of these to entertain my cat…

• Culturedropout says:

BEAM bots are pretty cool.  I made one from a kit I got from Solarbotics.com a number of years ago.  Used two pager motors, a solar cell, a “supercap”, and a couple of phototransistors.  It would look for the most intense source of light and drive toward it, which sounds like the opposite of what Ian described.  It also had wire “antennae” for obstacle avoidance.  It was fun to put it on the deck in the sun and watch it wander around avoiding shadows.  I think any geek would love one.

2. Antinous / Moderator says:

No, Mr. Dowel.  I expect you to die.

3. nixiebunny says:

Those solar panels are not at an optimum angle for near-uselessness.

4. It is a solar powered drag saw.

Here is a gasoline model

Here is the much noisier steam powered model….and there is nothing steam punk pretty about this monstrosity

I’m big into old skills and tech from the farm so this solar gizmo is pretty cool. A mix of high tech and old school together.

• A C says:

Sir, that is badass. I am now going to make a small steam engine just to cut dowel rods on my desk. Had no idea they made such wonderous things!

This is why people love steampunk- because of things like this that actually did something useful once upon a time- not hot glueing random gears to a pair of goggles.

• If you ever make a steam powered one please share it with us. I love to see it.

That steam powered video is cool to watch the piston at work. You cannot even view the machine well due to the escaping steam…but that adds a level of bad ass’ery to it.

5. Lemoutan says:

How about a solar powered woodchipper?  And I guess that was your accomplice …

6. Sean P Kelly says:

Having seen Cory at the St. Louis County Library last night, I think he may have actually been blogging while still AT the library.  His talk only ended like, ten minutes before this post.

7. eldueno says:

What is now needed is a solar powered dowel-forming device, sitting next to the dowel-sawing device. A twig-plant is not nearly as clever.