Presenting another installment of Super-Fun-Pak Comix, featuring "Percival Dunwoody, Idiot Time Traveler From 1909," "Darthfield," "Mother-In-Law Guffaws," and much, much MORE.

Please BE THE PERSON who supports Tom the Dancing Bug by joining its prestigious INNER HIVE -- it’s easy, fun, and cheap. Thank you.

Published 8:55 am Wed, Oct 3, 2012

More at Boing Boing

Book Club: A Storm of Swords Sansa V and Jaime VII

With the completion of Season 4 of HBO’s Game of Thrones, Ivan and Red dig back into the Boars, Gore, And Swords book club, where they cover the chapters of George R.R. Martin’s A Song of Ice and Fire series that correspond to the previous television season. No book spoilers past the TV show!

Smoke, Slingshots, and Spongebob: the Middle East crisis in photos

Startling shots from Gaza, Israel, and elsewhere depict despair and outrage at a seemingly-intractable crisis.

35 Responses to “TOM THE DANCING BUG: Super-Fun-Pak Comix - Percival Dunwoody vs. Hitler, and MORE!!”

1. Scott Rubin says:

Particularly good at archery man had me laughing hysterically.

• Brainspore says:

I still can’t believe he gets to hang out with “genius who has a nuclear-powered flying suit of armor man” and “guy who is actually an immortal deity who people pray to and stuff man.”

• jorgenfleisterman says:

I’ve been ranting about this issue for a while. Trick arrows and being a good shot could more practically be translated into other types of weapons which take less time to deploy (Batman’s grappling gun, smoke bombs, explosives, etc.). Arrows might be good for stealth, but that’s about it.

• Funk Daddy says:

Somewhat good, but as I’ve seen products intended to reduce string noise, and myself have been alarmed at the sound of drawing back and releasing a bowstring, it’s use for stealth may be overstated

•  In the noise of the city no one can hear my bowstring, at least my chosen prey never does. That amounts to effective silence as I rid my city of the scum that prey upon the innocent. You know, BP execs and such. What? You think I’d go for small fry like drug dealers?

• toyg says:

Patrick Bateman seems to have picked up a new hobby.

• Nadreck says:

Less time to deploy?  http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=ab9_1327240958

I dunno about the “barely competent with a …” part either.  Most people with a pistol, as one drill sergeant put it, couldn’t hit the ocean from a dinghy and Tommy Guns were the classic “spay and pray” short range weapons.

• dragonfrog says:

Tommy Guns were the classic “spay and pray” short range weapons.

Any veterinarian who proposes to machine-gun my cat in the privates is not getting repeat business, let me tell you.

• noah django says:

even if he says a prayer afterward?

• “Well, actually…” :) Let me put my Comic Book Guy hat on here for a second.

You’re also dealing with universes where magic is real, telepaths casually walk the streets, and you get to pal around with “guys who are actually immortal deities.” Hell, let me put a really fine point on it: you’re dealing with a universe where things that Grant Morrison thought of are canon. There is absolutely nothing in the Marvel Universe that says you can’t wield a bow so well that you’re as deadly as Thor, because your meridians are perfectly aligned, you’re pure of heart, and/or you’re the only descendant of Hawkface, The Really Really Insanely Good Archer Guy.

Real-world ballistics and tactics do come into it, I suppose. But they’re not the final arbiters here, no matter how hard you’d like them to be, because they’ll always get trumped by the Rule of Cool. That’s not just a literary trope in a comic book multiverse, it is basic in-world metaphysics! If you’re gonna do fandom wank (and believe me, I am all for this activity, it’s a blast), shouldn’t you do it in the context of the world you’re discussing? This is a mythical reality and I really think you need to take that into account if you’re playing “what-if”.

• jorgenfleisterman says:

I wasn’t only referencing Hawkeye, but any number of other archer characters in comic books – Green Arrow, Shaft, Golden/Black Archer, Red Arrow, Jagged Bow, etc.

Hawkeye, however, definitely isn’t as deadly as Thor, even in the Marvel canon.

Since the rules of the comic multiverse are flexible (i.e. excising characters or traits or doing total transformations via What If?’s, Elseworlds, Ultimates, etc. versions), it’s perfectly fine to suggest that arguably uncool archer characters who don’t know their skills were made obsolete with the invention of the repeating rifle over a hundred years ago, much less the repeating plasma cannons they co-exist with in the comic multiverse, shouldn’t be a part of the multiverse or given much attention other than as the comically inept character who wants to be a superhero/villain but fails miserably.

• Snig says:

And also, all the not-invulnerable heroes (not including the nigh invulnerable heroes) who have a amazingly low level of permanent mortality despite routinely being shot (or at least shot at), blown up, irradiated, poisoned and stabbed.  And the “Pucker up, Legolas” line only works with an archer character.  “Pucker up, Annie Oakley” isn’t as funny.

• Brainspore says:

I think you mean “Clench up, Legolas.”

• Eric Boesch says:

The super-archer’s ability to reliably hit their target from a distance despite turbulence and long lead times implies that they can foresee and exploit the weather and the movements of their enemies. What do you think they do during the 23 hours 45 minutes of the day when they’re not spearing tin cans? The half-dozen apparent deus ex machinas that allow the good guys to win were all planned out by the precog with the bow.

• Steven Lord says:

Or if you’re a fan of the DC universe, he’s married (at least in some continuities) to a woman whose voice can shatter stone. He also hangs out in a League with a guy who has a power ring that can do anything he can think of; a guy who can run at supersonic speeds and vibrate through solid objects; a woman who could bench press him … and his house, can fly, and can move fast enough to deflect bullets (forget arrows); a man who’s nigh-invulnerable, can shoot lasers out of his eyes, and can fly; and the man who’s the world’s greatest detective and one of the best hand-to-hand combatants.

2.  Make a long form graphic novel of the Idiot Time Traveler…. I would buy it

3. One of the best yet :)

4. Jorpho says:

“I know not who ate your lasagna” is so off that it irks me.  “Know who ate your lasagna, I do not”, would be more fitting, surely?  There’s enough empty space in the word bubble for the extra “do”; failing that, there’s “Who ate your lasagna, I know not”.  The “Yes, Hmmm” comes across as a desperate last-minute attempt to rectify this oversight.

Bah, I’m overthinking this. At least the usage of the word “Yodie” is unexpected.

5. BlackPanda says:

Am I alone in not actually understanding any of these comics, nor finding them remotely funny? Nor for that matter, getting the “dancing bug” reference?

6. Preston Sturges says:

I guess Percival has found out that everyone kills Hitler on their first trip, but he’s still trying.