Aphex Twin: "I Care Because You Do" music review

29 Responses to “Aphex Twin: "I Care Because You Do" music review”

1. GawainLavers says:

One of the most important pieces of music produced in my lifetime.  Of all things, I discovered it (as I discovered much music back then) by randomly selecting it from the catalog as part of a heavily discounted Columbia House purchase.

“Richard D. James” is, I think, a better album, tighter and more focussed, but inevitably less revolutionary.

2. I still think Aphex Twin is from outer space.  And I mean that in the best way possible.  There are few ways more fun to mess with our new overnight guys than by showing them the videos for ‘Come to Daddy’ and ‘Rubber Johny’ before turning out the lights and leaving for the day.

Also, I think I need to figure out how to get a copy of this that isn’t on vinyl…

3. reill76 says:

great post, but you’re showing the album cover of Richard D. James, not I Care Because You do

4. Like Autechre, his output could vary wildly in quality, but when it works, it really, really works. His sense of melody has always been there (like the first track on this album – Acrid Avid Jam Shred, and also Icct Hedral), but some of the technical stuff he did (does?) still sounds amazing. Listen to Bucephalus Bouncing Ball from the Come To Daddy EP. Mind, blown.  http://open.spotify.com/track/0dHbniuO4zBQfE8ArIqFgV

5. Max says:

The squeal in Ventolin sort of sings along with my tinnitus. Now you can hear what I hear.

• Yeah, that’s intentional. The squealing in Ventolin was added specifically because tinnitus is a well-known side-effect of taking the drug.

• EH says:

You should check out Maryanne Amacher, who composed music designed to cause the inner ear to react and emit third (in addition to L-R stereo) waves that affect the composition differently for every listener.

6. Ramone says:

The music from the top video reminds me a little of Paul Haslinger’s (formerly of Tangerine Dream) Score album. Good sltuff!

7. justaddh3o says:

I will certainly never forget where I was when I first saw “Come to Daddy”

8. Lecram Mulb says:

the “Icct Hedral” video is the wrong version of the song, that’s not the album version but rather the orchestra-only (sans electronics/beats) version that is only avail on the single

9. wat says:

The last Aphex Twin record i bought…

10. Decklin Foster says:

I hope this is not like the SAW vol. II reissue that 1972 did; they just got the licensing, took the CD, and pressed the audio from that to vinyl, losing one track that didn’t fit on the double CD. In this case, there are no missing tracks (since ICBYD originally fit on 1 CD or 2 LPs), but I’d avoid supporting them either way.
    Warp has its own represses of ICBYD and RDJ available on Bleep right now. I can’t confirm that they were done from the original masters, but from some quick message board searching it seems they can be distinguished by the lack of additional “1972″ copyright information added to the artwork. If you want them to repress SAW vol. II properly, buy it there so they know there’s demand.

11. MichaelDalin says:

I love this guy. My favorites are drukqs and analord. It’s been a depressingly long time since he released a new album.

12. heligo says:

I’ve never been a fan of Aphex Twin. I do like his more melodic stuff, in fact I love tracks like Polynomial-C and Window Licker, but most of his stuff I’ve heard just seems like noise – no harmony and no melody. I just feel like he’s being different for the sake of being different with no real benefit or any interest to provide a pleasing sound. Just to clarify, I love people that think unconventionally and creatively but not when the end product is just noise.

13. beohbe says:

“Alberto Balsalm” was the bridal dance music at my wedding.

14. ROSSINDETROIT says:

The Windowlicker video is hilarious, profane and amazing in equal parts.  I was in awe. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2IApCp2Pl8k

• ldobe says:

He also easteregged Windowlicker with an interesting spiral on the logarithmic spectrum right at the very end.  Hid did the same thing with his face at the end of ΔMi-1=-a ΣDi[n][ΣF ij[n-1]+Fexti[n-1]] (often called “equation” or “mathematical equation”)
      Attached is the spectrogram goodie in ΔMi-1=-a ΣDi[n][ΣF ij[n-1]+Fexti[n-1]]

15. bcsizemo says:

He would make a fortune selling those masks from Come To Daddy, even if they are low quality.

Who wouldn’t want to dress up like Aphex for Halloween????

16. ah, yes, i recall disliking this album precisely because of Ventolin.  the album should have been called “You’ll Listen To This Because I Made It”.

“Selected Ambient Works Vol. Two” will forever have a place in my personal Hall of Fame, though.

17. Manel says:

Trippy timing for me, because I was just listening to both the “Richard D. James” and “I Care Because You Do” albums this past weekend.

And again, just like back in 1995, the song, ‘Ventolin’ continues to amaze me by how frickin’ revolutionary it truly is in the history of electronic music.  I used to have the Ventolin single imported from the UK with all of the various mixes of the song.  That CD was stolen from me and repeatedly replaced… and lost again.

18. Syn - says:

What a great artist. The first time i heard Acrid Avid Jam everything changed.