Mind-powered animal ears

29 Responses to “Mind-powered animal ears”

1. theophrastvs says:

?…where’s the bit where the unnecessarily gesticulative hand-model places the fiendish device on her lovely head and waggles those ears by thinking deep sensual thoughts??  whatta-gyp! i demand my money back.

• trackofalljades says:

You won’t see that video, because everyone who’s already seen these in person in a convention vendor room knows that they don’t actually work as well as that advertising copy (er, I mean post above) says they do. They just sort of randomly do stuff based on how much you tense up or relax…and in between they twitch a lot because I guess it would take an awful lot of computer complexity and wattage to keep them smoothly transitioning between modes.

• GlyphGryph says:

This is because you can’t actually read someone’s emotions the way this pretends too – just relaxed/non-relaxed, I believe.

2. Hanglyman says:

As people on the MAKE site have pointed out, somebody else already makes these. I saw the Necomimi ears at an anime convention recently… unfortunately, much like the video here, nobody actually bothered to wear a display model to show them in action. I’m intrigued by the idea, but I get the feeling they may not be as expressive as people claim.

3. tudza says:

I don’t understand why there aren’t cheaper versions of these that simply use some sort of trigger to activate them.

• A little control box down the sleeve, with a couple of buttons. Ears back – fear, ears up – surprise, ears waggle – excitement. Get to it!

• ocker3 says:

I would think a set of ears with a manual control in the palm would be more useful for cosplay as you could match the movement to what activity you’re doing, rather than what you’re thinking

4. Nadreck says:

Eventually these will become obligatory office wear so that your boss can see that you’re literally bright-eyed and bushy tailed.

5. vitamindevo says:

If any of you read the kickstarter, and watch the video you’ll see the relationship to necomimi and neurosky, the people who manufacture the headset. http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/emoki/emoki-animal-ears-you-control-with-your-mind

6. Chris Wass says:

There’s a video of the Necomimi ears from ThinkGeek that shows them “in action”:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k_l1oRvKQL0&feature=player_embedded

7. Daemonworks says:

The Nekomimi ones have been around for years now – and that company’s just released a tail too.
    Video of both: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iMbSiNJk8rg

8. That_Anonymous_Coward says:

Protip – Interpretative dance, not a good sales technique.

9. ridernyc says:

These have been around for years now. I’ve been hearing these are next big thing for about 3-4 years at least.

10. Philboyd Studge says:

Margaret McPoyle as The Tick

11. Wouldn’t it make more biological sense (and be easier to build and program) ears that respond to sudden, directional changes in the ambient noise level? I don’t want ears that broadcast my brainwaves, I want ears that alert everyone to the loud douchebag approaching me from behind and to the left.

• howaboutthisdangit says:

I’d take that idea in an E.T. direction, with a pair of stalk-mounted eyes which could turn and stare at the offending oaf.  I’d pay extra if it included moving eyebrows.

12. spacedmonkey says:

Just the latest iteration of the uncanny valley as a fashion statement.

• GyroMagician says:

I’m just getting used to robots that look a bit odd because they’re too human, but these kids are racing at the valley from the other side. That’s weirdly pleasing and disturbing at the same time. The question is becoming who crosses the valley first?

13. smut clyde says:

For example, they perk up when you see somebody cute, they droop down when you feel relaxed

Do we not already have enough social taboos against exposing body parts that do that?

14. smut clyde says:

Come to think of it, Brian Aldiss was on the case 50 years ago:

15. Sparrow says:

I tried them. On me, they calibrate for a few seconds and then stop dead. Kind of like anthropomorphic mood rings.

16. technogeekagain says:

The fact that the vids spend lots of footage on everything BUT the ears in real operation tells me everything I need to know, I think.

17. big ryan says:

the most obvious benefit to these is that let everyone around you know that you are BATS*IT CRAZY and that they are better off not talking to you

18. TigR says:

I want one. The electronic thingy is good too.