The Decent People: LGBT pride in the former Yugoslavia

20 Responses to “The Decent People: LGBT pride in the former Yugoslavia”

1. sour60 says:

Unicorn chaser for the spread eagle old man in leather. Yikes!

2. scoia says:

Fantastic article.  Anyone have recommendations for recent writing on Russia’s current political state?  Aside fom “Putin be crazy”, I know so little about the specifics.

3. eldritch says:

More and more, Eastern Europe sounds like it’s becoming something out of a cyberpunk or other sci-fi setting – or more accurately, sounds like how Eastern Europe tended to be portrayed in such stories. The weird meshing of the old and the new; the Cold War traditions and politics entangled with present day issues and realities; the idea that as much as things are changing, they’re also staying the same; and the sense of oddly familiar absurdity embedded in it all, like watching the rise of old school punk culture east of the Berlin Wall in 1987.

4. Preston Sturges says:

“You are Peter, and on this rock I will build my church…”

5. grimc says:

Yesterday I told a friend that Judas Priest’s lead singer came out years ago. He was shocked. I told him what Halford said: “All that leather and people are surprised?”

6. Preston Sturges says:

I saw those same lace up leather pants at the airport worn by the gal who played the tv  version of “La Femme Nikita” and I was like “Girlfriend those pants are fierce!”

7. paulcarcosa says:

Reminds me of how Right Said Fred visited Moscow for a LGBT parade and literally got beaten up.

I hope Serbia being candidate for accession to the EU will help a bit.

• Antinous / Moderator says:

I hope Serbia being candidate for accession to the EU will help a bit.

That was how the moderate Boris Tadić ended up as President for eight years. Unfortunately, he was followed by the current fascist fuckwit.

8. cinilak says:

Brilliant article, I’m really glad someone is talking about this outside Serbia. They need external pressure to rid them of moron mafia that are in power.

Mafia (superrich) rules everywhere, but in very few places is as dumb as it is there.

Only thing this article perhaps doesn’t mention is what cloud of gloomy depression is over that country. And its been the same for last 22 years since the war started. World of plenty turned into an average 300 Euro salary a month with costs of living comparable to western world. Also, the country is under an almost impenetrable infomation dome. Even if they hear some information (via internet etc) that might change their mind they are conditioned by their surroundings to oppose it. Imagine small town mentality that is country wide. Sane thought involving certain matters seems to be forbiden. Most people are running in a circle, with more hate in them with each cycle. Most can’t even tell right from wrong when it comes to certain things such as LGBT people, treatments of gypsies, and other matters.

I recently been to the city of Novi Sad that holds the internationally known festival called Exit, and had my heart skip a beat when I saw a TODDLER, A BABY of no more than 18 months of age set up with an accordion to beg in the town’s main square. I felt sickened

9. Amelia_G says:

Thank you for this! I saw the report on the German news (24 hours late as usual) and am grateful for all discussion of the dumb move. IIRC, EU people responded gently that this is not in compliance with their rules. Please keep talking about this, everyone.