Chic's "Le Freak" and post-punk

15 Responses to “Chic's "Le Freak" and post-punk”

1. chadmulligan says:

And Chic recordings were primo material for the first wave of rappers–the Sugarhill Gang’s “Rapper’s Delight” (which recycled “Good Times”) is probably the most classic example.

2. Grey Eyed Man of Destiny says:

While you’re in the mood… http://grooveshark.com/s/Making+Love/4ylj0c?src=5

Moderator note: This link takes you to a page which requires a confirmation to leave.

3. JustJen says:

Are you reading the US or UK edition of Reynolds’ book? I ask because I specifically got the UK version after listening to Henry Rollins (on Nerdist: http://www.nerdist.com/2012/09/nerdist-podcast-henry-rollins/ ) discuss the conversation he had with the author after reading a bit of the US edition AFTER he’d already read the UK one, and how Reynolds told him he was asked by the publisher to “dumb it down” for the American readers…

• chadmulligan says:

Thanks for the info. I haven’t gotten around to picking it up yet so your post was very useful. Muchas gracias! (Edit)

• David Pescovitz says:

Wow, I guess I’m reading the US version. Bummer! Thanks for the info, Jen!

• Pirate Jenny says:

Awwwwww man, don’t tell me I have to buy it again–I don’t have it handy, but I assume I have the US edition also. I really enjoyed it, though.

4. Sound and image quality is poor, but here is two of my all-time axe-heroes playing Le Freak:

5. niktemadur says:

Chic should be in the Rock & Roll HOF.  The fact that Abba is in there and Chic isn’t is ridiculous.

6. chadmulligan says:

The whole Rock and Roll Hall of Fame thing is absurd. If they were honest about the whole thing, they would have to redefine what the Hall of Fame is about and start over.

7. GeorgeMokray says:

Story I heard is that Nile Rodgers and other members of the band were trying to get into Studio 54 and were barred.  They started making up a song that began with  “Fck you….” although Rodgers didn’t quite say that in the interview.

8. 4midori says:

Nile Rodgers’ autobiography is a great read.  Chic was cited by Duran Duran’s bassist as an inflence too.

9. umeboshi says:

Mutant disco! Crass commercialism as an ironic artistic stance! Do they go into ZE Records, my favorite home of this stuff? James Chance/White/Black? Or my favorite bit of post-punk WTF, Captain Sensible from The Damned doing a funky rap number - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o9Gj8earX_w

10. chadmulligan says:

I *love* James Chance and the Contortions. If I could be at any music scene in history, I would have definitely hung around the No Wave movement between 1978-1982. I was too young, alas.