A Yale survey found that 3/4 of Americans believe anthropogenic climate change is really happening. Of course, this comes after an exceptionally hot and drought-y summer and we already know that opinions on climate change oscillate with the weather. To really get a good picture of whether acceptance of climate change is on the rise, we'd have to look at a variety of polls, conducted in different ways by different organizations. And we'd have to look for changes in the trend line over long periods of time, so we know we're looking at an actual, long-term shift. Which all sounds oddly familiar, now that I think about it.

9 Responses to “Is acceptance of climate change on the rise?”

1. ridernyc says:

Oh my fucking god, now we are going to have some insane meta debate about how many people believe global warming.  I hate the world.

2. M Carlson says:

I hope it is. Maybe people will lose their complacency and “i can use all the resources I want” outlook!

3. Brad Bell says:

Pardon the cynicism, but it probably has never mattered. The debate is a pretext for delaying the obvious realisation that we are sticking with oil. (We have always been sticking with oil.)

We have invested in fossil fuels, the payback is about to get really juicy, we got investments in weapons, disaster systems, total surveillance, new kinds of domed gated communities and charter cities. Parts of the world are going to get better. That’s where we’re going to live. Buy a nice government somewhere. Climate change and a green energy economic revolution mean nothing, but starting over from scratch on a level playing field. That is death. It doesn’t matter what it means to 99% of the people. It’s death. Screw them. Things have never been better! Let us secure the middle east. I could be wrong, but I’ve only just come to this conclusion, so it seems very plausible. It’s not a conspiracy or anything – merely the result of the conventional wisdom and naked self interest.

• wysinwyg says:

I’ve come to similar conclusions.  Incidentally, in a society like ours where the “news” is engineered to be non-offensive, engaging, and to support particular policy goals the truth is inevitably going to sound like a “conspiracy theory” and people will protect themselves from cognitive dissidence by calling it that.

• s2redux says:

Wups; missed it by |that| much… If there was more cognitive dissidence in the news, we might end up with less cognitive dissonance in the population.

4. Shinkuhadoken says:

I simply believe it’s a change in tactics. It’s hard to justify spending tax payer dollars on oil exploration and securing new arctic trade routes while at the same time convincing your constituency that the north is just as frozen over as ever.

No, it’s much easier to stoke apathy. Sure, we thawed the ice cap, but so what? It can’t be helped. Because China. So, let’s enjoy our new trade routes and fresh oil supply, shall we?

5. blissfulight says:

In other words, 50% of Americans are momentarily less stupid than usual, but will promptly go back to being stupid as soon as they’re told to do so.

6. anansi133 says:

I’m remembering how many people believed that cigarettes caused cancer before the entire public sphere in some places could become smoke free.

If this curve goes the same way… I have nothing to add to what’s already been said. That scene in Eric the Viking showed it best, with the leaders of Atlantis denying the sea’s rise all the way to their last blub.

7. pdxhayes says:

less pirates = global warming.