1820 advice on how to beat the blues

23 Responses to “1820 advice on how to beat the blues”

1. Cocomaan says:

You have no idea how much I needed the advice to take a shower between 75 and 80 degrees F.

2. Rob Jordan says:

Try wearing smaller and less emotionally draining hats?

3. Ben Snider says:

Hehe 11th is the best advice. I wonder what he means by “rational religion.” Like, don’t go overboard, just once a week is rational.

4. Jenn Kluska says:

The lady pictured is actually Georgiana Cavendish, she died in 1806.

5. Erational says:

Cold showers as a treatment for depression is still a common natural-health practice. I’ve found it quite helpful myself. (It’s also good for boosting energy and warding off viral infections.)

6. SedanChair says:

21) Beat a slave–it’s wonderfully restorative.

7. Frank Diekman says:

“Don’t expect too much from human life — a sorry business at the best.” – telling it like it is.

• Ty_MY says:

Buddha, around 500 B.C. : “Life sucks. Lemme teach ya how to deal with it. Yourself. Not pray for me to deal with for you, you lazy git. Or worse, ask me to help the Sox win this year.”

8. Ryan Lenethen says:

4th. Short views of human life — not further than dinner or tea.
    5th. Be as busy as you can.
    11th. Don’t expect too much from human life — a sorry business at the best.
    12th. Avoid poetry, dramatic representations (except comedy), music, serious novels, melancholy, sentimental people, and everything likely to excite feeling or emotion, not ending in active benevolence.
    13th. Do good, and endeavour to please everybody of every degree.
    16th. Struggle by little and little against idleness.

Sounds like a robot to me.

19th. Be firm and constant in the exercise of rational religion.

Rational Religion? Is that the biggest oxymoron of all time? What might that look like?

9. Sea says:

I found this list a while ago and matched up a few of them with public domain images and printed them on stickers to leave around. I also printed a shirt for myself that I am quite fond of :)

Keep Good Blazing Fires: http://www.flickr.com/photos/seabelly/5264954598/in/photostream

Open Air: http://www.flickr.com/photos/seabelly/6227219325/in/photostream

As Well As You Dare: http://www.flickr.com/photos/seabelly/6227221403/in/photostream/

10. AquaDad18 says:

Updated List:
    21 Read boing-boing on your lunch breaks.
    22 Wear a monacle
    23 Participate in Talk like Hulk Day
    24 Trim the hedges outside your memory palace

11. Halloween_Jack says:

21. Masturbate.

12. ocker3 says:

Keep Calm and wear an amusing hat. People will smile at you, thus encouraging you to smile back.

13. blueelm says:

How does one avoid sentimental people while being one? One certainly wonders….