17 Responses to “HOWTO make a 9-layer density column”

1. Boris Bartlog says:

I’m impressed not so much by the fact that they got nine layers, but by the use of really everyday liquids. When I saw the headline I immediately thought ‘oh, well they probably used mercury and chloroform and who knows what’. But this is something anyone could put together – really well done!
    If I did this I might put the objects in as the appropriate liquid layers were added, rather than plop them in at the end. Less cross-layer contamination that way.

2. scav says:

I’d be inclined to sacrifice a few layers in return for all of them to be potable.

Leave in the bolt. I’m that hard.

• anansi133 says:

Pousse-café drinks are all over the web, I just don’t know where to go to order one.

• dragonfrog says:

Indeed, the liquor store is an effective but rather pricey way to acquire them – you have to buy approximately 26xN of them at a time, where N is the desired number of layers.

• Halloween_Jack says:

Most of the recipes I’ve seen call for fairly commonly-used liqueurs for the layers, so anyone who’s moderately serious about their home bar won’t have a problem using them in other things. The real commitment is for time, as it takes more than a bit of care and a very steady hand to prepare them, especially if you have more than a few guests or more than about four layers (and if you do, then you’re just a show-off).

3. Kevin Pierce says:

With the exception of the lamp oil and solid items, I think this concoction is okay to pour down the drain.
    What’s the correct disposal for the lamp oil, once you’ve been sufficiently amused?

• theophrastvs says:

put a wick in it and burn it off (“eyyy put a wick in it!”:  catch phrase for a naughty new sitcom involving 5 young people living in close proximity)

4. Christopher says:

This reminds me of a cocktail a friend and I tried to invent after the collapse of the Soviet Union. (We were speculating that Lenin would be buried and his tomb would be turned into a nightclub.)

The cocktail was called “The Soviet Union” and, like a Tequila Sunrise, would consist of layers–although in this case fifteen separate layers.

Unfortunately we couldn’t make it past more than three or four layers since, unlike the column above, we wanted ours to be drinkable.

5. pupdog says:

Admittedly, I can’t watch the video til I get home tonight, but is the layer between Milk and Maple Syrup really labelled ‘DIE’?

That’s hardcore right there…

6. Bruce Miller says:

Used similar process in separations in a chemistry lab once upon a time! Works very well!

7. purple-stater says:

Very cool.

8. Ian McCuntis says:

Did anyone else notice his last name is Spangler? As in Egon Spangler, of Ghostbusters fame.