Man dies after eating roaches and worms

Discuss

34 Responses to “Man dies after eating roaches and worms”

  1. i3c says:

    maybe eating/drinking contests are a bad idea, in general.

  2. Trefunk says:

    What a way to go.

  3. Curious to hear the actual COD.

  4. Culturedropout says:

    The way he was packing them into his mouth, he probably suffocated.  Wow – I’m not sure which is more disgusting – the contest itself or the way he was eating… :-p

  5. The Oven Eye says:

    It seems the food fought back and won.

  6. nettdata says:

    If you’re allergic to shellfish, you’re more than likely allergic to roaches as well.

    • Adrienne Evans Fernandez says:

      This. Arthropods ane arthropods. Although, strangely enough, a lot of people with shrimp allergies can have crawfish? The offending protein must be missing there…

      I DO know that when the giant cicada broods emerge, there’s always a handful of yahoos who post sauteed cicada nymph recipes. And there’s always a couple of people who go into anaphylaxis .

    • uuyeee says:

      Yeah probably this or just run of the mill sudden cardiac arrest. Something like 400,000 people died from SCA each year in the US with little to no warning.

    • Anaphylaxis symptoms appear about 2 hours after ingestion of material. Although I can attest that I had allergic symptoms quicker than that (red head, trouble breathing, raspy voice, swollen gum and lips) after ingestion of fermented soy powder produce quicker than 2 hours. On the other hand, it’ll probably take some time to kill you, so 2 hours is probably a pretty good measure.

      • nettdata says:

         I would tend to qualify that as “usually appear” within the 2 hours.  In the case where you’re stuffing yourself with the material in a contest/race like this, I’d think it would present much more quickly and severely.  Never mind that the actual contact can also cause the reaction much quicker than normally found via ingestion.

        • There’s that. As a rule of thumb, don’t stuff yourself with stuff you’ve never eaten all at once. At least if you’ve taken some nibbles and then took a bit of time, there’s some time to back out before going on a hardcore anaphylaptic trip.

          I announce a new candidate for a darwin award 2012. Discipline posthumous. Category food and drink.

  7. Paul Cooke says:

    waivers aren’t worth the paper they’re printed on…

  8. schadenfreudisch says:

     but let’s speculate anyway.  (this is the internet after all).   no way it was an infection from “dirty” cockroaches as the article implied.  that kills you a week or two later, not outside the store.  not suffocation, that would have happened during the contest.  i’m going for… he didn’t chew properly, worm burrows through his esophogus into his heart.  maybe a preexisting heart condition, for good measure.   or maybe 15 pound of worms and roaches had nothing to do with it, and it was just his time to go.

    • ThunderHammer says:

      I like the last one, the store’s lawyers should jump on that – the timing of his death was pure coincidence.  

  9. Mister44 says:

    So what killed him? Roaches and worms shouldn’t kill someone – did he choke to death?

  10. Nylund says:

    I haven’t read anything that provides any real insight into the cause of death.  For all we know, the bug-eating might just be a big coincidence.  Or, maybe not.  But right now, it’s all speculative.

  11. Michael Lathrop says:

    Thus sprach Internet:  there is a corollary to Nietzsche’s rule:  That which does not make you stronger kills you. 

  12. timquinn says:

    Come on, after that experience he just ascended.

  13. Did they know exactly what he died of?

  14. Aaron Swain says:

    The owner of the reptile shop actually called Archbold the “life of the party”.

  15. CLamb says:

    Did the cockroaches and worms survive?

  16. Mr. Son says:

    Let me throw my guess in the ring. Ate enough to rupture his stomach?

  17. Lodewijk Gonggrijp says:

    This man is now my hero. I will be able to point at this story whenever the switch from meat to insects hype comes to the fore again.

  18. Krystle says:

    If you follow this story and comments from people on Facebook (here:  http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10100320797196977&set=p.10100320797196977&type=1

    It seems like he asphyxiated on his own vomit some hours after the competition. 

  19. Darwin Adward is next!

Leave a Reply