Mark Frauenfelder is the founder of Boing Boing and the editor-in-chief of MAKE and Cool Tools. Twitter: @frauenfelder. His new book is Maker Dad: Lunch Box Guitars, Antigravity Jars, and 22 Other Incredibly Cool Father-Daughter DIY Projects

TAGS:

20 Responses to “Yet another reason why I love Gravity Falls”

1. JustinKalb says:

Just takin a stab in the dark with the googles, but could Aoshima be related to Chiho Aoshima  J-Pop artist?

2. mmatonis says:

John Aoshima apparently directs some of the episodes.

I’m consistently impressed by Gravity Falls and how well it’s thought out, and I’m glad your daughter seems to be as into it as I am!

3. Stefan Jones says:

I remember a candy like Smile Dip. The high sugar content kind of burned my tongue raw.
    * * *
    Man, I’m glad someone is gathering those cryptograms. My DVR keeps clipping the end of the episodes.

4. TheMudshark says:

Clearly, we´re dealing with a satanist Illuminati ploy here.

5. Charles B says:

Hunt down the Gravity Falls wiki. They suggest:”Mabel’s halucination dolphin Aoshima is likely named after Gravity Falls director John Aoshima.”

6. Rick Mesler says:

Me and my 7 year old boy love this show… he loves Mabel, and I love that gnomes, when punched in the stomach hurl Rainbow vomit in a constant stream of awesomeness

7. Sean Nelson says:

How does “VWDQ LV QRW ZKDW KH VHHP” decode to “STAN IS NOT WHAT HE SEEMS”?  That is, unless the cipher text is simply missing a V at the end of it.

8. Another great thing about this episode: in the first Smile Dip hallucination scene, the creature that speaks nonsense to Mabel is actually saying “DON’T TRUST GRUNKLE” played backwards. Eerie!

9. theophrastvs says:

The little item that blew me away comes from episode #9, “the time traveler’s pig”.  In that episode a time traveler (Blendin Blandin) is sent back in time (after the closing credits by the horrific “Time Baby”) to fix all the time anomalies caused by the twins misadventures in time which includes visiting events in previous episodes.  so, if one managed to record those prior broadcast episodes and go back to check.. great googly moogly… you can just glimpse the time traveler in the background flitting about making those fixes (something we’d all ignore in our first viewing).  now that’s some global consideration in writing.

10. Deidzoeb says:

Occult… Pacific Northwest… this screams for a Twin Peaks/Gravity Falls crossover.

11. Neill "Dire" Mitchell says:

I also love this show – But what’s with the “French” animation style noses? They are really off-putting, mostly as it puts me in mind of poorly dubbed French shows from my youth. :)

12. oodja says:

Last week’s episode (“Summerween”) had a fantastic Spirited Away homage, when the Summerween Trickster morphed into a monster made up of cut-rate Halloween candy that was a dead ringer for No-Face.  LOVE.  THIS.  SHOW.

13. VideoMonkey says:

The Pacific Northwest is not the only connection to Twin Peaks…”The owls are not what they seem” is the second message the Giant gives to Agent Cooper.