Verizon opts you in to advertiser tracking; here's how to opt out

8 Responses to “Verizon opts you in to advertiser tracking; here's how to opt out”

1. ian giraffing says:

It’s an interesting story… but infowars? Really?

2. Greggem says:

I was able to opt-out on a line that is a couple of years old with respect to 2 of the 3 categories.

Better than nothing, I suppose. Thanks for the tip.

3. ErickP says:

Thanks for the information! Has anyone noticed that anytime you try to run the “Account Analysis” tool/feature I always get a “temporarily unavailable” message? Does this feature actually work?

4. Tom says:

Why would I want to opt out of advertiser tracking? I would much prefer the sites I enjoy visiting, like BoingBoing, to show me ads for stuff I might actually buy, thereby supporting the site.

I don’t care if ClickTrackWhateverDotCom knows that I like BBQ supplies, remote control toys, home brewing, and zombie apocalypse preparation gear. Better ads for those items than than celebrity gossip text message services, erectile dysfunction medication, discount tampons, or hot singles in my area.

• Ito Kagehisa says:

I think the idea is that you should have a choice.  Why would you not want a choice? Do you believe for-profit corporations more deserving of the ability to make these choices than the people the choices impact?

5. Ito Kagehisa says:

Incidentally, if you’re a technically savvy FIOS customer, try using their directions for opting out of DNS filtering.

6. Jen Onymous says:

Thanks for the headsup.  Just checked my settings, I already had them on Maximum Tinfoil Hat mode, but good to know.