23 Responses to “Crowdfunding a 10-year-old's cup design for her grandad, who's got Parkinson's; and her dad, who is a klutz”

1. cellocgw says:

I like that.  Here’s hoping for an espresso version as well. Yes, i know that’s silly but I enjoy collection oddball espresso cups.

2. Joe Born says:

Hey!  I’m no klutz, I’m dexterous and deft!  Well, perhaps not :)  Thanks for the mention!

3. bcsizemo says:

For some odd reason it reminds me of the raktajino mug.

(But this would be a billion times easier to clean.)

4. Nice design and great fun project. Get them working on an insulated model with a top. I’d buy a set.

5. Shibi_SF says:

Go Lily!  Really great idea!

6. occupyordie says:

way to work on finding ways to keep that production in the US!  Seriously–i would be willing to bet their first production run is less than 1000 pieces, there are plenty of production potteries capable of doing just that.  As for the whole spiel about higher temperatures, white as jade, blahblahblah–thats a load of marketing BS.  Most sanitary ware is fired to cone 10, here or in china.  White clay is simple to come by in our now globalized economy.  Neither of those two things are really concerns–the reason you source your production in china is because of the readily available slave labor.

• EH says:

I appreciate your point, but the sarcasm detracts.

• occupyordie says:

I apologize–as a working potter this struck a nerve–not that this excuses my snark, i should have composed myself before replying.

• AlexG55 says:

I normally don’t have an issue with buying foreign-made things that were traditionally imported- like, you know, china from China.

• occupyordie says:

Actually, most “china” that you find in the US in terms of raw material is actually grolleg porcelain imported from the UK by the container load…  Also, the US has its own rich tradition of pottery making, see american salt-glazed stoneware for examples.

• knappa says:

Personally, I don’t have a problem with high quality imports from anywhere. Most of the problems come from importers dumping crap goods; companies producing quality work at least have to treat their employees better than the local average.

• hymenopterid says:

That’s fine if you want to go back to the days of economic serfdom.  Few people alive remember the the hardship of when we had to import all our ice from Iceland, turkey from Turkey, poles from Poland and ukuleles from Ukraine.

7. Joe Born says:

occupyordie:  I’m all ears about production in the US, a couple others have given me the names of some factories in OH and I’ll contact them on Monday.  If you have names or tips for locating others, please let me know:  joe@kangaroocups.com

8. dmc10 says:

I respect the fact that she did this first and foremost for a disabled family member — not just to be cool or make a buck. Good for her.

9. JimEJim says:

I wonder if there’s a way to combine the gyro bowl concept into this to make it even more stable and still drinkable.

A direct translation wouldn’t work, sure, since the bowl is meant to be “spill proof” but I could see some applications where it could add a little extra safety.

• That was my thought too: a gimbal-mounted inner cup, that would stay vertical when the outer portion with the handles tips.

Then again, that would make drinking difficult!

Maybe put a button or trigger on the handles that would lock the inner cup when you want to take a drink.

10. ocker3 says:

As an Australian I claim copyright on the word Kangaroo! I can do that, right??