Cats free-falling from space

29 Responses to “Cats free-falling from space”

1. Mach 1.24 Cats! The mice will never hear them coming!

2. Boundegar says:

It’s a little-known fact that terminal velocity for a cat is only about 10mph, which is why they gracefully land on their feet.  The reason is because their fur gives them an effective fractal surface area of over 38 square miles, which is more than the biggest parachute.

3. GawainLavers says:

I can’t look at the original gif of that cat without giggling.

4. Adam Holman says:

This was originally created by combatcameraman on b3ta  http://www.b3ta.com/board/10864275

5. s2redux says:

Another milestone for my pathetic bucket list — I finally “got the jump on” Xeni posting a cat pic; yay!

6. PhosPhorious says:

This gif proves what I have always suspected: the Internet loves us and wants us to be happy.

7. SomeGuyNamedMark says:

Why can’t I look at something like this and think “Yes, it needs cats jumping out of it”?

8. In real life, of course, one would want to provide kitty with a pressure suit so it doesn’t freeze/asphyxiate/etc. during the initial phase of the decent — which would then automatically come off to allow kitty to plummet the final 10,000 feet or so au naturale to a softish landing.

Provided, that is, that kitty were dead-set on doing something this crazy!

• tudza says:

A pressure canister would be easier.  I’m just imagining the phooom sound of it being launch out of the capsule.

• CLamb says:

This brings to mind an interesting question.  How does the sensitivity of cats to high altitudes compare to that of humans?  I would expect all mammals to be similar.

9. skeptacally says:

This is why i no longer feed the neighbourhood cats Red Bull.

Nothing but coffee for those kitties.

10. This is REAL but NOT REALITY(REALITY)(AVERGE)(THEY(75%)THEY((((((<DONT),<NO(FEW)(THEY)(ARE

11. dmc10 says:

$100 says the dude was NOT drinking Red Bull anytime near his jump…

12. Manel says:

Lol.  Best GIF, ever.

13. Over the River says:

This looks shopped to me.

14. coolvoodoo says:

All I know is that I am enjoying watching this while listening to “A Great Canopy of Smoke” by Anduin that was presented a few articles above.

15. robcat2075 says:

The definitive work on “Falling Cats”

16. Here is the orignal animated GIF of the cat leaping off a balcony ledge for another ledge, and failing…hopefully not falling many stories to it’s death!