13 Responses to “Doctor Dreadful Alien Autopsy Lab”

1. kadybat says:

I always forget how binary toy commercials can be until I actually watch one. Why are the girls always freaked out in these commercials? Why can’t there be a little girl hanging out in the lab eating gummy guts with the boys?

• Chris Noble says:

My youngest daughter loves the Doctor Dreadful stuff.

• cdh1971 says:

Stereotypes seem to be the Language of Advertising.

Of course, the L of A does change but I wonder how long we’ll wait to see this sort of gender stereotyping go away. It has really become less obvious, but is it just me or has it become better camouflaged and more clever…insidious?

Of course, it’s not like we can make aeons of history and cultural practices change instantly. And yes, I understand and appreciate the ‘Difference’. Viva to It and all of that.

————————

What are little boys made of?
      What are little boys made of?
      Slugs and snails
      And puppy-dogs’ tails,
      That’s what little boys are made of.
      What are little girls made of?
      What are little girls made of?
      Sugar and spice
      And everything nice,
      That’s what little girls are made of.
      (Copypasta from Wikipedia.)

2. Bob Knetzger says:

Sure, girls are the obvious casting choice to go “ooooh, gross!” in this kind of commercial but as it turns out girls actually enjoy Doctor Dreadful food toys as much as boys.  Look again:  a boy is the first one to be grossed out (he says; ‘NO!”) …and at the end of the commercial after they’ve made gross looking but fun tasting creations, both the boys AND THE GIRLS are in on the fun and laughing together. The girls ARE hanging out in the lab.

3. jimh says:

WE are assuming that the Grays are:

1) intelligent enough to recognize that our children are NOT regularly cutting open their children and eating their internals

and

2) not offended by the toy’s depiction of the same

because if not

3) the probings will increase in violence and frequency.

4. bugmaker says:

I had this alien dissection toy from 1986:  http://www.millionaireplayboy.com/toys/dissectanalien.php It is evident that it was created before the standardization of alien mythology in the 90′s. I frikkin love this toy and still have it. Needless to say: want this new set!!!

5. Boundegar says:

Is this really new?  I could swear I saw this 5-10 years ago…

6. james morrall says:

Doctor Dreadful Vs Dr. Horrible… is that fair use? they’re awfully similar…