Little Nemo, the Google Doodle edition

Normally, I'm pretty blase about Google Doodles, but today's Doodle pays homage to Winsor McCay's Little Nemo, with a beautiful, pitch-perfect animated series of "Adventures in Google-Land" that you really must see (even the large graphic excerpt here doesn't do it justice, you have to get the animations to get the full effect).

The gigantic Little Nemo collections (Little Nemo in Slumberland and Little Nemo in Slumberland: So Many Splendid Sundays) remain two of my most cherished collections, revealing the full majesty of McCay's imagination by reproducing his original strips at full size. The Google Doodle isn't as humongous as the books, but what it lacks in size it makes up for with lovely animation.

If you're a McCay fan, don't miss the Little Sammy Sneeze collection.

Little Nemo in Google-Land

25 Responses to “Little Nemo, the Google Doodle edition”

1. Paul Renault says:

I usually don’t even notice the Doodles.  But for some reason, this morning, I did.  Yeah, it was a good one.

2. cjporkchop says:

I vaguely remember renting “Little Nemo: The Dream Master” for the Super Nintendo. It was only years later that I learned what it was based on.

3. GawainLavers says:

The had a few short storylines in a big historical compendium of comic strips I had as a kid and they were amazing.  I would love to have those books for a rainy weekend, but I’m afraid the price tag is still a bit rich for me.

4. Ipo says:

I had no idea what “Little Nemo” was until I clicked through the doodle, but already liked it.
    I’ll make sure I won’t miss that, next time I’m a kid.

5. Pobol Pobotrol says:

Books I love but will never own, because they are too frickin’ expensive.

6. sean says:

The Princess, the walking bed, the face on the moon done without any black lines…whoever did that sure knew their Nemo strips. That was wonderful! I guess Flip and the Imp wouldn’t have been politically correct nowadays, although Alan Moore found an interesting way of handling the Imp in “League of Extraordinary Gentlemen”.

7. Robert Hendrickson says:

I get magically transported to Google Singapore when I click the link at the bottom of this post.

8. Itsumishi says:

This animation does not play nicely when you’re zoomed at all, even using Chrome!

The first two lines display fine, the 3rd crops the top off, but you can scroll back up. The fourth you can catch if you scroll back up quickly enough and the fifth just gets scrolled away to never-land and you can only reach it again once the animation part has stopped.

I didn’t actually realise I was zoomed in and was getting frustrated trying to watch the damn thing. Finally I figured I was at 110% instead of 100% and after that it worked fine. Still I would have expected Google to make sure their own animations played fine in their own browser.

9. jimh says:

LOVE this.
    I’m usually not impressed by the doodles either. But this one is awesome. I’ll bet they had a lot of fun making it, too!

10. Pipenta says:

I’ve been a McCay fan since, oh, since I discovered him back in the seventies. Man, could he render! His animation is fascinating because it was definitely a learn-as-you-go thing he was doing and it was just too labor intensive to call it an outtake. But the way some of his characters move is just very odd/lumpy and combined with the elegance of his drawings, the energy of his line and the charm of his compositions, well it is all a really strange combination and quite irresistible.

So yeah, I did I little happy dance when I saw it was Windsor McCay.

It also occurs to me that McCay would have LOVED Portal.

11. Over the River says:

Normally, I’m pretty blase about Google Doodles

Let’s ask the professionals who work for Goggle what they think about your books Cory. Not cool.

• Ipo says:

Are you disappointed?

• Boundegar says:

How dare he express an opinion?  What does he think this is – his own blog?

• Over the River says:

He should, he is on the masthead. But coming from Cory, who I dare say influences a lot of people, it may set an artificial bar for those who look to him for cultural guidance. That and it came across to me as being unnecessary and unkind to the designers of the doodles.

12. Vanwall Green says:

I read the the somewhat large size Nostalgia Press collection to both my sons when they were little, and now I read it to my grandkids. I snagged both the huge Little Nemo collections along with whatever I could over the years. I’ve been a huge McCay fan since forever. The Sammy Sneeze and Hungry Henrietta are fun, too, as are all the Dream of the Rarebit Fiend books, especially Ulrich Merkl’s big collection, the last word on it, I reckon. And don’t forget “Gertie the Dinosaur”, the seminal animated film by McCay.

13. Jorpho says:

I hear the animated movie is quite good and had some real high-end Japanese talent involved.  It is also horrendously obscure.

• Steve Taylor says:

It’s not bad at all – I was surprised how much of the comics it managed to capture. There’s planty to complain about, but it was much truer than I feared it might be. I seem to recall there is some kind of annoying squirrel hanging around him, but hey – you can’t make animation without an annoying cutesy sidekick – it’s the law.

Sadly I got it on VHS when it came out and my copy has degenerated terribly from overwatching.