Nicholson Baker on the joy of writing on rubber with a ballpoint pen

24 Responses to “Nicholson Baker on the joy of writing on rubber with a ballpoint pen”

1. Stonewalker says:

Wow, he so eloquently described why it was so much fun to write on my sneakers as a kid……. and an adult :)  I never even thought about why I did/do it.

2. Smash Martian says:

As Half-Man Half-Biscuit once said way back in 1987: “There is nothing better in life than writing on the sole of your slipper with a biro.” http://youtu.be/QRey5b2Rllg at 2′ 25″.

3. Marja Erwin says:

For me, it’s painful and awkward, like writing with a slippery pen on any other surface.

4. I just read Baker’s HOUSE OF HOLES. It might be my favorite book of all time. Truly mind expanding erotic fiction.

5. I’ve long thought that latex checks should become a thing – not only would they give the frisson of ball-point on rubber, but tearing each one off would give a very satisfying stretch, stretch, thwack!  Handing over an obviously rubber check would leave your cashier nonplussed.

6. novium says:

Thus the reason my erasers in grade school were always scribbled all over. I also found the experience of inline skating over pavement that had been coated with some sort of rubber/plastic surface  (like in the plaza they put the ice skating rink in every winter) very similar at least in a tactile sense.

7. Andrew Stevens says:

“There is nothing better in life / Than writing on the sole of your slipper with a Biro” – Half Man Half Biscuit

8. hymenopterid says:

A once girlfriend of mine gave me The Mezzanine to read, saying it was one of her favorite books. I made the mistake of trying to read it while at work at the bike shop, during my lunch break. When your job consists of obsessing over small parts in a room by yourself for hours, the last thing you want to read is another individuals obsessive steam of conciseness involving small objects on his desk. Yes I assume he had a point, it’s just dear God the stationary.

9. avraamov says:

i have a complicated relationship with Baker, because The Fermata is a deeply, troublingly misogynistic book. however, he redeems himself rather with Human Smoke which is a haunting, compelling and very necessary one, especially when the narrative of the 20th century is supposedly so firmly established. Human Smoke made me want to head down to Westminster and take a sledgehammer to that fucking cunt-ugly statue of churchill.

• Bottle Imp says:

Complaining about The Fermata’s misogyny in the same paragraph as using the phrase ” fucking c**t-ugly”. . . That is impressive.
      I actually met Baker when he came to my college to speak. I was expecting to be skeeved out by said author of The Fermata, especially since he seems like an writer for whom it is exceptionally difficult to separate author and fiction. I was surprised to find him quite pleasant in person. I had to reassess, but then he was talking about Double Fold, so I don’t know I was too charitable in the reassessment.

10. Bill Sides says:

I’ve done this, did not enjoy it.

11. Or Banana skins, if anything it’s even better.

12. JoshP says:

Three sentences?  Faulkner could have done it with one, and added a few extra clauses.