The raven

22 Responses to “The raven”

1. knoxblox says:

I love ravens and crows. They are so intelligent.

Personally, I also like grackles. Watching them is like watching a sitcom about a dysfunctional family.

2. I just got a mental image of cartoon characters arguing: “Goth season!” “Hipster season!” “Goth season!”

3. Pink Frankenstein says:

The land is all too shallow
    It is painted on the sky
    And trembles like the wind-shook rain
    When the Raven King goes by

- Susanna Clarke

4. tacochuck says:

We have a lot of raven-crow hybrids where I live.

The thing that strikes me the most about them is that they are almost always in pairs. It is very rare to see just a single one. They may not be right next to each other all the time, but if you see one, if you look around just a bit, you will almost always see its partner.

It sort of chokes me up a bit to always see them in pairs. I can’t put my finger on exactly why, but I find it sweet that they go through life together.

I have no idea if they are faithful to each other or not, or if they pair up for life or the pairings change, but they sure seem to get something out of the partnership as they are always together.

5. rattypilgrim says:

Ravens are definitely my fave bird. I used to have a raven’s call ring tone on my phone but every time I got a call it drove my dog nuts. Probably anyone within hearing range for that matter.

6. John Irvine says:

Great LP.  My copy has the 3d cover.

7. Pirate Jenny says:

One of my favorites too. They like to hang out in the street in my neighborhood, and casually stroll out of the way instead of flying when I drive up. I suspect they know full well they’re in no danger from me :)

This really is a beautiful picture.

8. Antinous / Moderator says:

We have a colony of about 20 ravens nesting in the palm trees in the center of my complex.

9. solstone says:

Hooray for Corvidae!

10. timquinn says:

Here is something most people don’t know, because I just made it up, but the raven is a special case of crow and the surprising thing is that the crow is also a special case of raven. They are so like each other as to be the exact same thing. This is the real reason you always see them in pairs, crow, raven, crow, raven and so on. So that they do not themselves become confused about which they are. They can simply ask their neighbor and then be opposite. Black bird, black bird, who’s to know anyway.

11. spiderking says:

There are crows all over my neighbourhood. During a lunch break, I walked past a couple of squashed ones within 5 feet of one another in the street near a bus stop. Wasn’t too surprised. They often seem to make a game out of dodging traffic at the very last second.
    Then it started to dawn on me that there were TWO of them. In the same general spot. Both squished flat.
    I’ve heard that most of them mate for life. Now I wonder if some of them mate for death too.

12. sockdoll says:

EXACTLY like a writing desk!

13. B E Pratt says:

Dickens had a raven and liked it so much he was termed “raven mad”.

14. baronkarza says:

Painting I did earlier this year. Big crow and tree in Mill Valley, CA.