Read more in Music at Boing Boing

Founded in 1970, Aquarius is the oldest independent record store in San Francisco.

TAGS:

18 Responses to “Zombie Rave: chopped and screwed gloom house music”

1. bluelight74 says:

Kinda cool, but I wonder how many people on Boing boing know what chopped and screwed is or were the style originated.

• Dancehall?

Edit. WRONG. Wiki: “Chopped and screwed music was created by DJ Screw in the early 1990s. Part of the chopped & screwed music scene is a beverage known as purple drank (the active ingredients being codeine and promethazine[1]); the color purple, which is usually present as a dye in the “drank,” has also become a symbolic color or motif to identify chopped and screwed versions of songs or whole albums. The 2007 documentary film Screwed In Houston produced by VBS/Vice Magazine details the history of the Houston rap scene and the influence of the Chopped and Screwed sub-culture on Houston hip-hop.”

• David Pescovitz says:

I posted about the roots of the genre last year:

• Jen Onymous says:

Blue,

Don’t underestimate the Boinger Mediavore Community!

I didn’t have to go to Google to know it’s a kind of slowed-down–VERY slowed down–hiphop, with very heavy beats, has elements of “slowed down record.”  Related to subculture of drinking cough syrup (especially that containing coedine) for the low. Originated in Texas.

Do I get a cookie?  :D

• Artimus Mangilord says:

And how many know what witch house is? Hint: it started as a joke here in Denver. And now the joke has taken life, apparently.

• Merik7 says:

Still looks like a joke to me. A damn good joke that I enjoy listening to.

• lewis_stoole says:

not that i would know, per say, but swim declares that which house and that house are perfectly matched for times when swim might find oneself swimming with hallucinogenic properties

• I got into witch house a good while back when I randomly hit on the Mater Suspiria Vision videos on youtube.  A couple of days later I was at party and some guy was playing witch house and I said “Wow, I just discovered this shit on youtube a few nights back,” and he said “Yeah, its been out for a couple of months.  Apparently, some people have already proclaimed the scene dead because about 6,000 people have heard of it.”
        I thought that was funny.

2. Abelard Lindsay says:

Oh god. That keyboard. Holy fuck. No.

3.  this is actually lady gaga slowed down :)

4. The Moonlight Shadow track is by a band called MElody and Mezzo, who have tracks up on iTunes. They are a speed house band, funny to hear it slowed down
    Dave@ninthwaverecord:disqus s.com

•  So basically, the “First Flesh” people just took the song and slowed it down?  That’s the laziest ripoff I’ve ever heard.  I wonder if all the songs on this thing are just slowed down versions of someone else’s work.

5. Nicola Mary says:

Presented by State Farm, for all your zombie insurance needs

6. Dominic Armitage says:

Salem and the Tri-angle records lot did this better a couple of years back I think

7. Ruben Orta says: