31 Responses to “The Walking Dead heads into "Sick" territory in this season's second episode [SPOILERS]”

1. Such a shame that they’d introduce a new staring partner for Rick and then kill him off so quickly.

Also, love when Daryl puts his zombie-braining-arrow in his GD mouth. Because if this show about a contagious zombie epidemic had to spend time worrying about vaguely realistic routes of contamination, there’d be no time to go looking for everyone’s favorite post-apocalyptic urchin, Ranger Carl.

• Lou says:

I immediately noticed this as well.  There is seemingly no consistency to the method of infection.  Bites are the classic, but being scratched by a bleeding zombie?  Yes.  Putting a zombie blood covered arrow in your mouth?  No.

Also, is the airborne variant different than the bloodborne one?  Would a walker who was infected by the airborne variant pose the same threat to a survivor?

I’m really over thinking this, but going to the CDC was my favorite part of this show.  I like the answers.

• I try to keep my disbelief suspended, but the writers went and lowered it into that well with Glenn.

• Al Billings says:

Uhm, y’all missed the memo, I guess. They show it in the flashback at the opening of every third season episode:

There is no infection or, rather, EVERYONE is ALREADY infected. Whatever makes people into zombies is inside everyone. This is why when Shane killed that kid at the end of Season 2, he came back as a zombie despite no bite. This is why when Rick killed Shane and then had family time with his son, Shane got up as a zombie.

EVERY dead person comes back as a zombie if their brain is intact. That’s part of the horror.

I presume (because they say this explicitly in the comic) that the reason zombie bits are so horrible is when a rotting dead thing chews on you, it is not antiseptic and it will kill you the old fashioned way most times.

So this whole thing of “Don’t get the blood on you, etc” is misguided. This isn’t 28 Days Later. This is the horror show where all of our dead come back every time from now on.

• RedShirt77 says:

Yeah, and they are now killing zombies like they were potato chips.  In that scenario, why not stick the guy in a cell and see what happens.  the Scratch thing was a wrong idea the had last season after people that had not been bitten turned into zombies.  Rick then told everybody that everyone is infected so there was not reason someone would have to get bitten.

Its like the writers didn’t reread last season before writing this one.

•  It is my understanding from the last season, that EVERYONE is infected and that only death itself will turn you into a zombie.

2. Kevin Brown says:

Everybody is already infected with the zombie disease. The “infection” that they’re worried about is the fast-acting type caused by the various pathogens present in the zombie mouth. A little dried zombie blood in your mouth is fine apparently.

Realistically zombie bites / scratches probably aren’t any more likely to cause such a bad infection than what you’re likely to get by a particularly nasty knife wound, but suspension of disbelief is already a pre requisite for a show with zombies in it.

3. Ryan Reed says:

I think that’s exactly how you’re supposed to feel, compare Rick’s leadership, as an allegory, to that of a nation like the United States.
    For instance our president is doing many similar things to people around the globe that are deemed too dangerous to the safety of American citizens and troops abroad.

4. gwailo_joe says:

I’m surprised Tomas lasted as long as he did; that dude was asking for an unpleasant death.  He got it!

And I thought that chasing the running prisoner was unwise, and trapping him in with the walkers was not very nice.

But then again, you can’t leave a potential enemy in your Green Zone: zombies are deadly, but dumb.  A dedicated human adversary could cause plenty of headaches…so he’s got to go.

Luckily everything is working out for our plucky band. I predict smooth sailing from here on out.

5. RedShirt77 says:

Yeah, I love this show but it clearly has some problems.  I think its clear that when someone acts in a stupid way that leads you to think they threaten the group you start to hope that they will be the next ones to die.  But Lori and Carl are the biggest liabilities to the group in terms of emotional weakness and sheer stupidity and yet they seem to constantly survive without much more than a scratch.  Meanwhile the most smart, reasonable, and balanced people seem to get their guts ripped out pretty often.

All of it has lead ot this dynamic where Rick is doing stupid things to defend the weak links in the group

6. rastronomicals says:

Yeah, not sure if I’m confused or if the show’s writers are.  Once it had been established that everyone’s infected, seems to me that the threat of a zombie bite is reduced to that of any other festering wound in a world without antibiotics.  So it kind of made sense to chop off Hershel’s leg, but not to turn that huge black dude into cererbral pulp:  his scratch was certainly survivable (Hadn’t T-Dog had one like it?)

7. blitzkriegthecat says:

It seems like the writers are asking us to come to our own conclusions as to the exact nature of how the infection spreads, which is pretty lazy. I’m going to go with it being zombie saliva which accelerates the infection, that way we don’t have to trouble ourselves with wondering why nobody cares about all the arterial spray in their mouth/eyes whenever somebody brains a walker. ‘But Blitzkrieg, in that case why would they be worried about a scratch?’ Oh Christ I don’t know, because.

• Preston Sturges says:

Also, if a zombie is metabolically active (arterial spray)  it should be killable, but if they should only be able to ignore a chest wound if they are NOTLD shufflers.

“28 Days Later” was the worst for having a virus that was supposed to be fantastically contagious but everyone ignored the blood spatter.

Anyway if everyone is infected, it’s easy to spin all sorts of theories about virus mutation.  It would probably be more realistic if infection from the bite was random based on what viral strain is involved.

8. Preston Sturges says:

Like I keep saying, the main weapon should be .22 rifles, but that would make everything too easy.

Daryl’s crossbow is certainly useful for bringing the silent death, but it’s NOT a melee weapon.  And even if he were taking it into fights like he does now, he’d have a backup weapon like a long chunk of gas pipe, tomahawk, or a big chrome wrench.

They should be collecting all the riot shields they can find and focus on the coordinated use of weapons like the pike, billhook, and Norman ax.

9. SpaceBeers says:

Carl. Stop running off.

10. GenMal says:

I guess they’re all going to Zombie up after they die but getting bitten accelerates the process. At least that’s the comic book’s explanation.

11. Gina Martin says:

I pinged that little mean dude, Andrew, as a problem right away – he seemed to be Tomas’ flunkie, and was definitely looking for excuses to be aggressive.  He tried to make a move against Rick & Co. after Tomas was offed – he needed to go, the little sneak.  Poetic justice just leaving him to the walkers.  I think that it would have been smarter to sound out the group dynamics a bit, and get the follower guys (Tiny, the bald dude and Mr. Moustache) to join them if they were inclined to cede control to Rick and not cause trouble.  They seemed not very smart, but not inclined to power struggles and could be useful.  Oh well – I was rooting for Maggie to put Herschel down when she was doing her teary talk.  I’d certainly want to go out quickly rather than succumbing to either gangrene or walker-itis if I were Herschel.

• Peter says:

I think also Rick had to go after him for mere practicality.  Even if he was completely innocent… he ran off, for all Rick know he’d open a door to a herdful of contained walkers, or manage to get back to the cell and do some harm to the others (even if they’re behind a locked door, one of them might have done something unexpected like try to make it to the infirmary or go visit the field to collect a walker specimen).

12. Marko Raos says:

Am I the only one who feels the show lost all its cool somewhere during the second season? The incredibly drawn-out soapiness of all those “interpersonal relations” and “issues” killed it off for me. Such a shame, another promising HBO series bites the dust once the script committee decided that it has promise but it needs “spicing up.” (Read “Beverly Hills 22010 with zombies.” or alternatively “we’re telling a universal human story here (or rather a full spectrum of all possible human stories), it doesn’t really matter it’s got man-eating zombies it it”)
    Being a pretentious prick, I still consider Dead Set the final word on the recent zombie revival thing. The rest is exploitative dross for the great unwashed always slow to catch up. /bows and exits followed by derogatory jeers and heaps of assorted rotting vegetable matter

• boingboingdave says:

*AMC, not HBO. I agree this show fell off sharply. It becomes more evident when I watch a new episode of Homeland (excellent) on the same night as the new Walking Dead episode.

• RedShirt77 says:

Fell off?   The lame interpersonal stuff peaked in the first season and now is way down after the death of Shane and now that there are actual Zombies in every episode and its not just an over-dramatic farm chore show.

13. DryDry says:

Soooo, did they give the two last convicts half the food as promised or did they take all the food?

Did they lock them in the cell block? Or did they give them keys to get out the other side?

How come these moron convicts never ventured out of the cafeteria in ten months? They cannot possibly be that stupid.

• IronEdithKidd says:

The remaining convicts are hiding something, that was made plain just before Rick and Daryl marched them off to their new cell block.  I suspect the moustachioed man is the real ring leader.  I also suspect the inmates were quite aware of the fact that civilization no longer exists.  As for the rations, I’m sure the amount the prisoners recieve will be commencerate to the size of their group.  For now.

After this last episode, I’m rather curious what happened during the time we didn’t see our intrepid travelers.  Why is Rick so detatched from Lori?  There’s few things less than productive in the zombie apocolypse than holding onto a grudge, so I’m thinking it can’t be because she had sex with Shane when she thought Rick was dead.  Even IRL, that’s just selfish stupidity to believe it’s a moral failing for your partner to move on after you’ve gone from this world.

14. Rick Adams says:

1. Since boingboing turned me on to the comics years ago, I can’t believe so many people commenting here appear not to have read them. If you haven’t read them and have any interest at all, you need to pick them up.

2. The airborne virus has to be the source of the infection because the first person to come back couldn’t have died from a bite. So the bites just seem to act as a catalyst. The only real consistent thing between bites vs. scratches (stabbed by a bloody stump?) is that there needs to be direct contact with the blood stream. Lots of things get into the blood via surface, eyes, mouth etc.. but whatever the catalyst is doesn’t seem to be one of them. Perhaps there is just a certain concentration needed for the victim to die.

3. Rick isn’t holding anything against Lori. He’s dying on the inside from constant worry, the need to appear strong and having to make decisions that the group refuses to consider. He’s becoming a zombie, not a divorcee.

• DryDry says:

Why don’t I read the comics? Because I’m enjoying watching the TV show. Why would I commit spoilercide on myself? I didn’t read 2 or 3 of your post because it probably contains spoilers, the biggest 1st world problem of this new century.

• Rick Adams says:

4. My comments contain no spoilers, including the following:

5. The comics contain no real spoilers at all. The show has deviated that much. It actually makes watching the show more exciting for me, because you never know when they’re going to vaguely follow the comic, or kill a character on the show who’s still alive in the comics. I’d suggest reading all the comics before watching the show.

15. David Guerrero says:

Thomas established himself as a psychopath when he killed Big Tiny. Rick wasn’t thinking they were on the same page, he was summing him up and made the decision to kill him then. Thomas’ ambush on the party was planned with Andrew, thus their eye contact right before it went down. I felt that there was a really deep exploration of the Hobbesian State of Nature/State of War as well as buddhist concepts in this episode. Rick killed Thomas with ‘righteous fury’ yet unattached and without anger. This is the model of a warrior king. He also had to kill Andrew because they were in a state of war, there could never be peaceful resolution at that point. Rick had the wisdom to act on that in an instant. But unlike the slaying of Thomas, he allowed himself to get attached to the killing of Andrew and succumbed to cruelty. The killing of Thomas did not trouble him, it was the killing of Andrew. That’s what I took from it.