10 Responses to “Eli Roth showed Amazonian villagers Cannibal Holocaust, and they thought it was hilarious!”

1. Ian Wood says:

I guess Paolo Bacigalupi was correct.

Odd.

2. Robert Cruickshank says:

“Wow, we’re shooting in the middle of nowhere but Craft Services always seems to have barbecued ribs for us! This is great!”

3. MollyMaguire says:

I seem to be more disturbed by the fact that Eli is wearing a t-shirt with his name on it.

4. Øyvind says:

They found it funny because it’s an over-the-top movie, or funny because “that’s exactly how it is!”?

• wysinwyg says:

In Don’t Sleep There Are Snakes Dan Everett describes his attempt  to translate the Bible into the piraha language.  He made a tape recording of himself reading one of the gospels and the villagers were completely uninterested — except for the part where John the Baptist is decapitated.  Everett relates a typical response: “They cut his head off?  Cool.  Can we listen to that part again?”

• Antinous / Moderator says:

When Dallas was a hit on international television, apparently JR was considered a positive character in many countries because he was willing to destroy anyone to enrich his family.

5. Sirkowski says:

Either they’re laughing to appear strong in front of the outsiders. Or (inb4 flame) they’re uncivilized.

6. enterthestory says:

It’s a cultural thing. I have aspergers and to me almost all TV and movies are just silly: pretentious puff. Especially the ones trailed as “hard hitting” and “moving.”

• Little Mouse says:

I don’t have aspergers, but I still think the same things about almost all TV and movies. I think it’s because a lot of it is actually silly and pretentious puff, whether it’s labelled as “hard hitting” or “moving” or not. :)