Boing Boing reader Fergus Stewart writes,

I know that for obvious reasons you have been reporting in recent times on those who have cancer, so I wanted to draw attention to the premature passing of genius UK animator Run Wrake.

Run has been most well-known for his award-winning 8 minute animated short 'Rabbit,' which is a wonderfully dark and disturbing animation created with old illustrations culled from British reading-scheme books for children, (though few animations could be less suitable for children!).

Humour doesn't come much darker than this nightmarish vision of a somewhat warped pair of five-year-olds.

Unfortunately this incredible piece must now stand as a memorial to his talent as he died of cancer on Sunday at the relatively young age of 47.

Rabbit was BAFTA-nominated for Best Animated Short Film and winner of Best Film at the British Animation Awards 2006 as well as the McLaren Award for Animation at the Edinburgh Film Festival.

More about Wrake's life and work: Cartoon Brew, Televisual, FilmDrunk, Twitch, Big Cartoon News.

Watch more of Run Wrake’s work on Vimeo or YouTube.

9 Responses to “Run Wrake, animator of dark and imaginative award-winning short films, dead of cancer at 47”

1. tember2 says:

Glorious. I feel sad I hadn’t seen it earlier. Thanks for posting.

2. Bemopolis says:

Goddammitt, I loved this short.  Screw you, cancer.

3. JamesDondi says:

Liquid Television introduced me to Run Wrake way back in the early 90s. I love his short “Anyway” and highly recommend checking out:

Condolences to his family and loved ones.

4. dr.hypercube says:

Fuck. He was a genius – rabbit is one of the best pieces of animation I’ve ever seen.

5. Jorpho says:

I remember that one from Hertzfeldt and Judge’s “The Animation Show” back in 2007.  (A darn shame they discontinued that program; you might be able to find the DVD if you’re lucky.)  Of course I had forgotten the name entirely and was starting to doubt if I would ever find it again.  Pity it couldn’t be under better circumstances.

6. shane walter says:

It is devastating news of the passing of the great Run Wrake. He sadly leaves behind a young and loving family and a unique legacy of masterful work with a trail of inspiration for many around the world. His work across animation, visuals, illustration and design will never be forgotten and surely never matched. It was a pleasure with onedotzero to show his projects, commission his work, feature him in the motion blur book and drink in his company. From the onedotzero, animation and design communities we thank you for sharing your work, wit, talent and distinctive way of looking at the world Run. You will always be a true original.

7. ted mills says:

Don’t forget his mindbending video for Howie B: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gcapXGSdpKw

8. tom hadley says:

Absolutely gutted to hear of Run’s death. He was one of the few that deserved the epithet “genius.” I for one will miss his dark and witty talent.