Joss Whedon bets on Romney -- to lead us into the zombie apocalypse

(Video link) Joss Whedon is familiar with catastrophic urban disaster and the supernatural, so it's about time he endorsed a candidate in this year's presidential race! Watch as he puts his money on Mitt Romney as the best man with the best ideas for leading our country directly into a "nightmare zombie wasteland." (via YouTube)

20 Responses to “Joss Whedon bets on Romney -- to lead us into the zombie apocalypse”

1. Guest says:

Nice to see Ron Howard still getting out.

2. Boundegar says:

Saw this on Daily Kos, where the headline – Joss Whedon Endorses Romney – scared the hell out of me!

3. Doctor Device says:

that was delightful

4. franko says:

he has a good point, there.

5. Ramone says:

It’s a Halloween/Election twofer!

So scary because it’s true…

6. Tynam says:

Sadly, for a true zombie apocalypse, just read the YouTube comments.  But only if you have a strong stomach.

7. Layne says:

Oh thank god a multi-gazillionaire 1%-er from the entertainment industry has popped up to tell me the right things to think! My poor brain cells were getting tired from doing all the thinking for myself.

I look forward to Whedon’s next video where he explains how Obama’s abysmal record on federal secrecy, drug arrests, civil rights and unconstitutional military strikes are all really good things.

• Gutierrez says:

And then his next video on Bush’s record on invasion of privacy, drug arrests, civil rights, and unconstitutional military strikes. Then he can document the shortcomings of each previous president up until Washington.  Wait, there might be a movie in that somewhere…

• chadmulligan says:

Maybe he could do another video where he explains that regardless of the problems with Obama’s record, both Daniel Ellsberg and Noam Chomsky recommend that progressives vote for Obama over Stein.

• Rindan says:

Relax.  You don’t have to listen to Whedon.  The video was funny.  If it influenced your vote, you are a moron.  It is more of a present to Obama supporters than it is an effort to actually change your mind.

I don’t disagree in the slightest.  That said, what is the alternative?  Romney will be more brutal in literally every single one of those things, and he will also do his damnedest to ensure that my gay friends can’t have their marriages recognized because he thinks it will make the magical deity he believes in angry.

Obama is a disappointment and failure in many regards, but what is the alternative?  If you are not going to settle for the lesser of two evils, your only real choice at that point is to vote Cthulhu 2012 and not settle.

• SumAnon says:

Cthulhu? Pffft, he just panders to the Elder Gods. I’m voting for Megatron and the Decepticon Party.

Peace Through Tyranny, 2012

• R_Young says:

^ also can’t take a joke.

8. welcomeabored says:

The tension in the video was ratcheted up a bit more by the horror of seeing an orchid in direct sunlight.

9. Wade Sims says:

I laughed.  It’s a well done political joke.  I’m relieved to see there aren’t (as many of) the same comments on this site where posters try to leverage this as a legitimate political attack (@Ramone:disqus excluded). The number of people who attempt to seriously conflate real-world politics with science fiction fantasy somewhat make me wonder if the zombies aren’t already here, and voting.

10. David Hill says:

Missed opportunity, Joss. You failed to mention that Whedon fans should vote Romney, because Romney also wants to punish women for free sexuality.

• wildemar says:

Oooooh, burn!

To take this more seriously than I should: This is something that has always kinda bugged me about Whedon’s work (although it seems to me that he ha[s|d] a problem with free sex, regardless of gender). I like to think that Firefly’s Inara was an attempt to move away from that. Or maybe he just didn’t have the time to enact vengeance on all those fornicators.

• Rives Binford says:

He (and other writers of Buffy) talk about this in some of the making of and behind the scenes stuff for Buffy.  The basic idea was to have consequences for underage sex, which decreased throughout the series as the characters aged and matured.  Watching Buffy as an adult, you really notice the moralizing.  Back in the day it just seemed normal.

• Monkey_pants says:

I think that’s a bit of a stretch.

11. Jellodyne says:

Looking forward to the Marvel Zombies/Avengers movie. Also I hear he’s looking at Victoria Jackson as the lead on his S.H.I.E.L.D. series.