Shuttle Enterprise may have sustained damage from "Superstorm" Sandy

20 Responses to “Shuttle Enterprise may have sustained damage from "Superstorm" Sandy”

1. acerplatanoides says:

I know it’s been there for a while, and not super well maintained, but it was built for hypersonic speed winds. I wonder what could have happened?

• skabob says:

I don’t think it was probably constantly pointed into the wind. I doubt it was designed for more than moderate rain.  If you leave your toys out in the storm…

This is why we can’t have nice things.

2. robcat2075 says:

As the “prototype” that was only used for the glide-to-landing test perhaps it is somewhat less durably exteriored than a fully flight-ready shuttle.

On the other hand, the real ones were fatally damaged by foam hits so an airborne tree or other debris might do quite a bit.

3. Antinous / Moderator says:

You mean that piece of cloth didn’t protect it?!?

4. margaretpoa says:

Possibly? Clearly at least one half of the split rudder has been damaged in that photo.

5. Scott Simmie says:

If only it had been equipped with – oh, special protection tiles – it might have been okay.

6. Scott Simmie says:

7. halfpress says:

That’ll buff out.

8. therealcmj says:

I don’t get why anyone thinks it’s a good idea to leave the orbiter, or any plane actually, on the deck of a freaking aircraft carrier to slowly rot away under the baking sun and pounding rain. Why isn’t the Enterprise, a major artifact of our space efforts, being exhibited indoors?

• brainflakes says:

If you read the linked article Enterprise has actually been sitting protected inside an inflatable pavilion, which got blown down and is now draped over the orbiter.

9. Bryce Caron says:

I hope they fix it before they try sending it to space. Oh wait.

10. I’m gonna pour out a mylar bag of Astronaut Ice Cream for my damaged homie.

11. bibulb says:

Dick move on my part granted, but “This would NEVER have happened if they’d moved it here to Houston.”

(Pay no attention to the Ike behind the curtain. I have no idea how Space Center Houston fared through Ike, but give that JSC is RIGHT ON Clear Lake, and I DID see shots of what the surrounding streets were like early in the evening, I suspect that they were doing some wet-vacing.)

12. PlutoniumX says:

Chief Engineer Scott is not going to be happy.

13. Don’t worry, my dad’s a TV repairman, he has an awesome set of tools..

14. When I saw they had essentially placed it in a “baggie,” I despaired. Why couldn’t money have been raised to put it in a nice, tight, weatherproof enclosure? I remember seeing it at the Steven F. Udvar-Hazy Center annex of the NASM, and I couldn’t imagine it plopped down on the aft deck of a WWII-era aircraft carrier with any kind of adequate protection.