Ted Scouten is a reporter for the Miami CBS station WFOR, and was in New York City this week assisting in hurricane Sandy coverage for network "sister station" WCBS-NY.

From TV Newser: "Scouten, stationed in the Rockaways section of Queens, got a real New York welcome Monday as Sandy’s surge sent waves into the street and took him down, as shown on CBS This Morning." (thanks, @milesobrien)

22 Responses to “TV news reporter strong Darwin Award contender for live Hurricane Sandy coverage”

1. Unless he’s dead, its only an Honorable Mention.

2. franko says:

i thought to “win” the darwin award, you had to be killed. i think he was just a hopeful contender.

3. Shadow KFC says:

While mildly amusing, this is not valid for a Darwin award, where the rules stipulate that you have to take yourself out of the genepool, due to huge stupidity.
    So unless he got his gentlemen’s jewels squashed or died afterwards this is not Darwin award material

• traalfaz says:

You also have to die or be rendered incapable of reproducing before you actually reproduce.

• spejic says:

What if you were so publicly embarrassed that no one of the complimentary reproductive gender would acquiesce to engage in coitus or consent to donate the respective gamete for artificial fertilization?

4. winkybb says:

Agree that this is not likely to be in the running for a Darwin Award.

It is just another example of the idiocy of trying to make a reporter part of the news, rather than just a reporting on it. All these “pieces to camera” and “live crosses” where some vapid talking head just blabbers about what we can see for ourselves is beyond useless. Do the blabbering from the studio. Which is bad enough.

• Jim Saul says:

In fact, in this age of miracle and wonder, we have remote cameras.

I just wish there were really deep lens hoods on some of the web cams so that something other than water on the lens is visible during storms.

The worst yahoo I saw during the coverage was the dipshit on the jet ski photobombing the news cameras.

• Selena60 says:

Unless it’s Wolf Blitzer. Then I’m all for it.

5. Adora Tsang says:

I have the feeling that he can still win in the future.

6. embryoconcepts says:

Obviously, he’s from a place where they don’t understand the power of hurricanes or…oh.  Never mind.

7. WWGGD says:

Minutes later he was hit by a garbage can full of sand. Seriously.  And he lived…not eligible for a Darwin at this time.

8. picaflor says:

Death or serious injury is bound to happen eventually with one of these reporters.

9. Xeni Jardin says:

HEADLINE CORRECTED THANKS TEAM

10. Steve White says:

Before I even watch this – I have to say that looks like Bigfoot.

11. Pasketti says:

Here’s Geraldo Rivera doing the same thing for Hurricane Ike in 2008.

As to why they keep doing it, that’s how Dan Rather got his big break.  And if it worked for him…

12. Guest says:

I saw on two other channels how reporters obviously felt the need to step into the water to provide infotainment ambience. It’s somewhat unsettling.

13. noah django says:

I’m Ted Scouten. People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks. Years later, a doctor will tell me that I have an I.Q. of 48 and am what some people call mentally retarded.