The physics of the weird geometries of the corpse city of R'lyeh

24 Responses to “The physics of the weird geometries of the corpse city of R'lyeh”

1. jlargentaye says:

next up, linguistic analysis of Alhazred’s scribblings

2. Can’t believe I had to look up R’lyeh to make sure it was being spelled correctly.   And that I’ve been misspelling it all this time.  My soul is so going to get eaten for that…

3. ldobe says:

I honestly was tempted to write in my vote for the Cuthulu/Dagon ticket.
    They got me on the platform: “Why settle for a lesser evil”

Eventually I did settle for a lesser evil though.

4. Snig says:

I’d read the article, but I can’t afford to lose any sanity at the moment.

5. rrh says:

I’m pretty sure you’re not supposed to examine those geometries that closely, lest your very sanity be forfeit.

6. jbond says:

Full paper here. http://arxiv.org/pdf/1210.8144v1.pdf
    As a final point, our model requires that time passes exponentially more quickly on the outside of the bubble than on the inside. Such bubble of non-Euclidean geometry could be used to endure vast aeons of time while the universe outside it grows brittle with age.

7. Ellen says:

Ph’nglui mglw’nafh Cthulhu R’lyeh wgah’nagl fhtagn

8. now the Higgs Boson has been found Physicists are getting frivolous, to the point of whimsey.

• There is still a lot of work to be done in physics. Such as exploring the possibilities of Preons, the building blocks of Fermions and Bosons. Not to mention further work in String Theory. We are just barely starting to scrape the surface – there is much work left to be done.

9. slowtiger says:

Nice work, but I was immediately reminded on similar sketches in “The Astronauts” by Stanisław Lem . Now we can debate wether Lem read Lovecraft or Tipett read Lem.

10. David Jansson says:

Oh my.

Sounds like Bob Howard of the laundry will have his hands full cleaning up the fallout of this little publication.

• dragonfrog says:

You used the second floor plotter to run off the blueprints, didn’t you?  At some point we have to stop calling in warranty service on that thing and just get rid of it.

11. artao says:

R’lyeh is NOT a “corpse city”. Get it right.

12. brunel says:

Perhaps warped fermions account for the nebulous plasticity of that sky-spawn from the stars–my great uncle, a tenured professor of Medieval Metaphysics at Miskatonic University believed so.

13. I suggest that an Hallucinatory drug may have caused the perceived effects. This either by  accident, such as mould on foodstuff, or by the incumbent natives production of soporific compounds or liquids.