Maggie Koerth-Baker is the science editor at BoingBoing.net. She writes a monthly column for The New York Times Magazine and is the author of Before the Lights Go Out, a book about electricity, infrastructure, and the future of energy. You can find Maggie on Twitter and Facebook.

Maggie goes places and talks to people. Find out where she'll be speaking next.

18 Responses to “Baby echidnas are called puggles and they are ADORABLE”

1. Sekino says:

They definitely have a tardigrade-like cuteness.

2. OldBrownSquirrel says:

Little dairy Hoovers!

3. OldBrownSquirrel says:

Y’know, what I’d really like to see is video of one of those things *hatching*.

4. John Radi says:

Sorry, but echidnas are enough to convince me to figure out how to filter out future echidna related posts..  Isn’t there a chrome plugin for that?

5. that_music says:

uhhh… that “fifth leg” you can see in this video is actually its tail…
    From the NatGeo article you linked to: “A male’s echidna’s crown jewels are all stored inside his body so from the outside Grumpy looks like a lady.”

@boingboing-30649c91c86ba5388e401109501718ff:disqus http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZXEC1Qx4cJg this is probably as close as you’re going to get, since the egg actually hatches *inside* the mothers pouch.

6. hughstimson says:

Wait. At the end. Why does she put it in a box? Do they store them in boxes?

There are boxes here. Are there echidna babies in any of these boxes? I will check.

7. How is it that mama echidna can leave them so long without milk? Similarly undeveloped baby kittehs would die if left so long. I understand that the Virginia Opossum has a slow metabolism, which is why when my cat was in a fight with a possum the possum didn’t back down. My cat was smashing the crap out of the possum and the possum just stood there gaping his hissing mouth with 80 teeth. If the possum had fought back I am sure my cat would have gone for a throat bite or a belly rake, but the possum just stood there. Confused the shit out of my cat. I whacked the possum five times with a broom before it left.

Do echidnas have even a lower metabolic rate?

• B E Pratt says:

I live at a place that has god nose how many possums (surely under 10 at this area) and  something like 7-10 feral cats. The cats, wisely I think, just give the possums the evil eye and let them go on about their business. Too smart to waste their energy on them.

• cjporkchop says:

I don’t have a source, but I seem to recall reading/hearing somewhere that animals with very rich/thick milk don’t have to feed their young as often as animals with more watery milk. Humans and kittens fall into the watery end of the spectrum.

8. Hugh Johnson says: