The other man behind the mouse: Floyd Gottfredson

11 Responses to “The other man behind the mouse: Floyd Gottfredson”

1. purple-stater says:

I’m getting more receptive to Micky, but I’m still a Duck snob myself.  :-)  Absolutely love any of the older Duck-related comics.  The newer stuff with the more “modern” style of arts just doesn’t cut it though.

2. Indeed. No disrespect to Barks the master, but I always preferred Gottfredson’s work, which always struck me as equally skilled technically but also more interesting in terms of the seedy, kind of shabby, post-depression world that the characters inhabited compared to the more polished Duckburg.

3. luckydime says:

Carl Barks was, in my opinion, the best cartoonist in the Disney genre, followed by Don Rosa.  Though I agree with Scott’s ^ beautiful explanation of Gottfredson’s work, I thought the constant re-use of the same protagonists for every adventure became tiresome.

• JPhilipp says:

I would *imagine* that Mickey is just a stand-in for default protagonist to allow for reader identification. So that perception-wise basically, it’s *you*.

I read the Gottfredson’s stories as kid in giant collections at the library, and the adventures were totally completely exciting. Of course, at the time I wouldn’t have known who created them specifically, from what era they were, how they compared to Barks’ world etc.!

4. Scott Rubin says:

All the respect to Barks, Crumb and Kirby, But how can you not have Eisner and Tezuka in the top 3? They are the top 2!

I will definitely check out these Mickey books right after I finish reading these Complete Barks Library volumes.

5. Jorpho says:

“The other man behind the mouse” implies that Walt Disney was otherwise the man behind the mouse, which would seem to neglect the contribution of Ub Iwerks.  But perhaps that is reading too much into it.

6. Tim says:

I came here expecting an article about Bill English…

7. Sven Viking says:

Gottfredson did some pretty creative stuff before settling into creating what I find to be relatively repetitive and boring mystery stories. Also check out The Monarch of Medioka, an interesting take on the Prisoner of Zenda.

8. hanoverfiste says:

When I think of Gottfredson Mickey, I think of the Phantom Blot.  Great character.  Bark’s Donald and Scrooge will always be my favorites, Growing up my friends would say, hey you got any Super-man, Spider Man, or GI Joe comics? Just a handful, because some adult heard I collected comics so they grabbed me some whatever.  DD and US got whenever I could new or back issues, then go for Comics and Stories, where there’d be a Mickey Story.

When Gladstone took over the license on Disney my dad subscribed to all four for me.  I eventually got around to the Mickeys and they were good.  This Mickey is a cool Mickey doing detective work and things he never does in the cartoons.  It’s a different kind of adventure from Duck’s that usually revolve around Scrooge’s quest to enlarge his fortune.  The stories are a little hard boiled.  They are very nice reading.

I’ve gone back some to Disney Comics, but I have been pretty disappointed with Boom’s offerings. Its more finding first printing of stories instead of my 3rd, or 5th printing of a story as I can afford them.

9. sockdoll says:

Put me down as another Carl Barks and Don Rosa fan who also enjoys the work of Floyd Gottfredson, I would definitely rank E.C. Segar over Gottfredson though, as far as character creation and pure storytelling. I’m really glad that Gary Groth and Fantagraphics are making so much of this work available again.