Mochi ice cream inventor Frances Hashimoto dies of cancer

16 Responses to “Mochi ice cream inventor Frances Hashimoto dies of cancer”

1. CliffordS says:

I love mochi ice cream. It’s the superior way to eat ice-cream with your hands.  Ice cream sandwiches have a tendency to leave cookie residue on your fingers.

2. Cat says:

Those things can be quite successfully deep-fried. It’s like they come pre-battered. Crispy with a core of half melted green tea icecream.

3. Gary Iacobucci says:

I had no idea that mochi ice cream started right there. Any time my Japanese class in high school went to LT, they’d give us free mochi ice cream treats.

4. Alan Olsen says:

Mochi is widely carried in Asian grocery stores as well. The green tea flavor is my favorite. My daughter is a mochi fiend. Surprised to hear it was invented in LA.

• blueworld says:

Mochi itself (the sticky wrapper on mochi ice cream) is a traditional Japanese sweet. It’s made of sticky rice that’s kneaded for hours until it’s smooth.

I don’t know how they manage to wrap it around ice cream. I’ve made red bean filled mochi balls, and we had to handle the mochi when it was still hot enough to be painful. You make a ball, squish it flat, and wrap it around a pre-frozen ball of red bean paste.

5. I only just got introduced to mochi ice cream this summer, after seeing it at Trader Joe’s. I’ll need to get some in her memory.

6. So disappointing to hear. :( I’ll second the recommendation on a trip to Miyakawa. I’m sure they’re serving the same packaged frozen product that you buy in the store, but for some reason (maybe the temp they hold it at?) theirs seems much better.

7. Xeni Jardin says:

Post edited to correct my chemobrain-induced typo on the name of the brand and the boutique:  Mikawaya, not Miyakawa.

8. TheMadLibrarian says:

I love mochi ice cream, but save it for special treats.  Where I live, that tray of 6 little scrumptious pillows is over $5.

9. Cary Allen says:

Sorry to hear of her untimely passing. That dessert is scrumptious. It’s a hard slog to succeed with a niche food product with a small product line, and it’s nice to see such a success  story knowing the additional obstacles she faced because of her circumstances. I’m sure she will be missed by all connected to her. Hopefully the company is in good hands and we all get to continue to enjoy her legacy.

10. Lelielle says:

This is one of my FAVORITE desserts, I might pick up some Yukimi Daifuku this weekend

11. Aaron says:

Yummy indeed. But too much plastic packaging for my liking. Anyone have a useful DIY project that makes use of the otherwise landfilled plastic?