Jared Loughner, the 24 year old man who shot former Arizona congresswoman Gabrielle Giffords, has been given seven life prison sentences without parole plus 140 years for his crime. Giffords this week sat in the courtroom, "looked in the eyes of the man who shot her," and, through her husband, astronaut Mark Kelly, told Loughner she was now "done thinking about you." Because of her injury, Giffords has difficulty speaking and is partially paralyzed.

30 Responses to “Gabrielle Giffords tells shooter she's "done thinking about you"”

1. tré says:

I’m glad she is, but we sure as hell can’t be. This guy needs to serve as a warning of how we can and can’t handle political rhetoric in this country.

• Cocomaan says:

The guy was schizophrenic, and rambled about how the government was controlling grammar. His case has absolutely nothing to do with political rhetoric.

• grimc says:

The whole thing about controlling grammar is the key part of the “sovereign citizen” movement. Political rhetoric definitely played a role.

• Cocomaan says:

Schizophrenics, and he was one, often obsess over minutiae. If it wasn’t sovereign citizen grammar nonsense, it would be the bearded baby and corrupted sacraments. I’m not buying it.

• grimc says:

He didn’t shoot a bearded baby or a priest. He shot a politician at a political event, was an adherent to a separatist political movement, steeped in a media environment where people of a certain political persuasion are characterized as traitors that need to be removed (wink, wink) from power.

You don’t have to buy it, but it takes real determination to ignore the political aspects.

• hymenopterid says:

He’s more effective as a strawman if you ignore his mental illness.

• Navin_Johnson says:

He was a gold bug too.

• hymenopterid says:

That’s my impression.  I believe that Giffords was just his particular obsession.  Schizophrenic people can form associations between almost anything.  They’re just as likely to shoot the mailman for stealing their thoughts.

• len says:

Even if he hadn’t latched onto “political rhetoric” to rationalize his insanity (which he did), there is no denying that the rhetoric of one side is more amenable to influencing those with mental health issues. Go to any comment system of any news site on the internet and you’ll find people as unhinged as that woman who made the drunken YouTube rant, believing that posting the same insults, crypto-racism, and bullet pointed conspiracy theories ad nauseum are persuasive arguments.

(And sure, Bush attracted similar vitriol, but Bush also started a war based on lies that has killed hundreds of thousands of innocent people, a war that made his vice president richer than he started and has seen billions of dollars disappear. I question the sanity of anyone who isn’t still seething at that, and instead saves it for the guy whose only major accomplishment, for good or ill, is requiring employers and insurance companies to provide access to health care for millions of Americans who otherwise wouldn’t have it.)

• Navin_Johnson says:

From the ease of which he got his weapon in his state to how a proper functioning safety net was not able to get him help for his mental illness in time, it’s impossible to completely divorce this from the political climate and policy.

2. Funk Daddy says:

Fuck that guy and Sarah Palin too.

3. plyx says:

Very disturbing to say the least. Did we ever find out exactly what compelled him to do this? Was it politically driven, or was it caused more so by mental illness? I feel as though the general public is not educated enough on the warning signs of people who are contemplating such terrible acts, and we need to remedy that ASAP.

4. Roy Benevidez says:

This guy, Jared Loughner, needs to serve as a warning of how we can and can’t handle mental illness in this country.

The only political rhetoric should be that the mentally ill have easy access to firearms.

What the former half-term Griftbilly Quitter of Alaska has to do with his deranged mind and the four-year schizophrenic fixation on Giffords eludes me.

5. spazzm3 says:

In the interest of scientific accuracy I would like to point out that schizophrenics are NOT more likely to be violent than the average population.

They are, however, more likely to be VICTIMS of violence than you or I.

Please do not think ill of all schizophrenics because of this one guy.

• EH says:

To be sure, “schizophrenic” is generally an outdated term.

• nettdata says:

As someone who was married to a bi-polar, schizo-affective for 7 years, I cannot agree more.

Having spent countess hours living with and dealing with mental illness, it’s shocking at just how uneducated/uninformed the general populace is about basic mental health problems, never mind specific ones.

Schizophrenic doesn’t mean what most people think it means, and is quite often used erroneously.

• Schizophrenia is not an “outdated” term. To be sure it’s more helpful to designate what kind of schizophrenia, but schizophrenia is, absolutely, the correct term for the illness Loughner has. That the public often misuses or confuses the word doesn’t make it incorrect. BTW, I believe you mean “…married to someone with schizoaffective disorder, bipolar type…” NOT “…married to a bipolar schizoaffective…” which is not schizophrenia, though it is on the schizophrenia spectrum.

6. Good for her. I don’t know if I would feel similarly.

• Dane Johnson says:

I guess its good its behind her, but it’d be better if it drove her (maybe she’s no longer capable) or someone to do more about the mental health issue in this country. Schizophrenics and psychopaths get locked up and released ad nauseum until someone gets seriously hurt. That’s it. Its all or nothing.

7. Hanglyman says:

Septuple-infinity plus 140 years? I think most everyone will stop thinking about him except his jailers and fellow prisoners. He’s pretty much been banished to the Phantom Zone, for good or for bad.

8. ChickieD says:

I had a mixed reaction to this news.

First: I’m not a supporter of the death penalty, but was surprised that the state of Arizona did not want to prosecute this and seek the death penalty, especially considering that a congresswoman was one of the victims. Does anyone know why they decided to offer a plea? Did the Giffords family have any part in that?Second: My mind gets all tied up when I think about crimes like this and the appropriate response. What he did is terrible, but I don’t know if he is even capable of knowing that he is being punished and what for. I doubt he is capable of remorse. He seems like he would be a very difficult person for the prison to handle properly. Even if you ignore concerns about his own welfare, he seems like a giant problem for a prison to handle with limited mental health resources. I feel like rather than seeking punishment, we should as a society seek to keep him as mentally sound as possible. A high security mental institution seems like a better place for him than general population.

• Funk Daddy says:

That stuff is decided after, where he stays, his treatment etc.  He may get wha you expect he should because he is high profile, but he may not. Lots of people in prisons everywhere are messed up beyond committing a crime but it is generally ignored. I expect his limited capacity may have been a factor in not seeking the death penalty again because high-profile.

• ChickieD says:

Yes, my other thought was that maybe Gabrielle Giffords had some influence in asking that it be handled quickly, to spare her to suffering of going through a long trial.

• cjporkchop says:

According to this article, he is remorseful, especially about the child he killed.  However, he also sees the fact that Giffords survived the attack as a failure on his part.

The forensic psychologist says he’s one of the worst cases of mental illness she’s ever dealt with.

I feel really bad for the victims and their families, of course. But I also feel really bad for this guy. Knowing that your mind is not working right is terrifying. And then to compound the everyday stigma associated with being mentally ill with the hatred he’s earned through his actions… It’s a tragic situation.

• ChickieD says:

For a couple of years I volunteered at a listening hotline. Although promoted as a crisis line, it turns out that a large percentage of the people who call in are mentally ill repeat callers. For me, it was an education in mental health. Although I had had experience with family members who were depressed and mildly bipolar, to actually speak to a paranoid schizophrenic who thought the tv was watching him, or someone completed fixated on being diapered, or (just a guess on this guy) a psychotic who placed ads in the local newspaper seeking  ”art models” to eye creepily was a real eye-opener. I was grateful our location was a carefully guarded secret. It is part of the reason I am so conflicted on how to handle this situation, because a few of the people I spoke to who had some terrible thoughts, and some seemed not very capable of controlling them or to take a lot of comfort in them. At least the men I spoke to were seeking some companionship and feedback by speaking to the hotline (I never, for some reason, spoke to a very mentally ill woman). But what about the people who didn’t have help?

I feel better at least knowing that now he is in a mental state to understand his crime and feel something about it. Thank you for posting that article.

9. Keisar Betancourt says:

is anyone bothered by the length of his sentence? surely the punishment doesn’t fit the crime if it’s many many times worse.