Music to Write By: authors share their playlists for summoning The Muse

13 Responses to “Music to Write By: authors share their playlists for summoning The Muse”

1. Paul Renault says:

Man alive, I must be so out of the loop.  I don’t recognize any of these authors.

• They’re mostly science writers, Paul — from the New York Times, Discover, etc.  If you don’t keep up with science writing (or, for that matter, poetry), that would explain it.  These are not novelists. I tried.

2. “Not, mind you, just any music. I love me some Elvis Costello, but trying to eke out an apt phrase while being throttled with the thesaurus of his post-coital tristesse would be impossible.”

He must have had This Year’s Model blaring when he cranked out “the thesaurus of his post-coital tristesse”!

3. sigismund says:

Mr Bach’s bass guitar is very nice :  what’s its brand ?

4. Marty M says:

I like listening to Muse when attempting to conjure up a muse.

5. Egypt Urnash says:

Lately I’ve been using video game soundtracks to create a space of being ON TASK and having THINGS TO DO. Specifically, ones from shootemups; music for making your little spaceship dodge patterns of enemies and bullets seems to really work for cranking out another page of my graphic novel. Right now it’s just R-Type Delta and Radiant Silvergun; I need to go grab a few more.

Writing, though? When I’m writing I seem to prefer silence.

6. Lobster says:

Darren Korb and Jesper Kyd come to mind.  Their music gives a wonderful sense of place and movement without lyrics.

7. My Life in the Bush of Ghosts by David Byrne and Brian Eno has always put me in the writing/creative mood.

8. timquinn says:

Bach would have totally been a chapman stick dude, or Warr Guitar. Monster organ master would not have pudgy pinkies.

9. Genre Slur says:

Paul Schutze. Almost any time I write I can find an lp by Paul Schutze that ‘propels’ the act. JS Bach is a given for me, by the way.

10. BillStewart2012 says:

A few science fiction / fantasy authors mention their music playlists in their book credits.  Rachel Caine listens to a lot of Joe Bonamassa but also an extensive list of other people.  Seanan McGuire mentions Counting Crows and a number of filk singers.

There’s some music I like that doesn’t work well at all for doing work.  Anything with lyrics tends to be distracting if I’m doing anything verbal, including programming.  Long jammy instrumentals like The Grateful Dead can be ok, but I’ll periodically notice that I’ve been out in space listening to the music rather than focusing on my reading or work.