Spanish-language webcomic on piracy and distribution

Javier sez, "This is a Chilean comic strip. On this strip the character tries to legally purchase some content and can't due to several explained reasons. Then on the last square some distributors complain that sales are low and one of them says that it is due to piracy."

Juanelo 1680 – Accesible

16 Responses to “Spanish-language webcomic on piracy and distribution”

1. Kevin Pierce says:

Machine translation:
    I’m dying to use my new console! buy some games from its online store!

Ah … no shop in this country … Well, I will use the United States!

Argh! Only accept credit card gringa! … The only alternative is to buy a prepaid card!

That!? The cards costs twice its value!? Are they crazy?! Fine, I’ll buy the physical game!

I do not understand that sales do not take off!
    Is piracy!
    Take my fucking money!

2. greendemiurge says:

Another, non-machine:
    I’m dying to use my new console! I’ll buy some games in their online store!

Ah, They don’t have a store in this country. Okay, I’ll use the U.S. store.

Argh! They only accept Gringo credit cards! The only alternative is to buy a prepaid credit card.

What! The cards go for twice what they’re worth! Fine, I’ll buy the physical game!

(final panel)
    I don’t understand why sales aren’t taking off!

It’s Piracy!

Take my cursed money!

3. Ashen Victor says:

That´s exactly what has happened to me way too many times (book, mostly.)
    Now I pirate the bloody fuck of everything.

4. GregS says:

My translation:

1. I’m dying to use my new console. I’ll buy some games from their online store.

2. Ah, they don’t have a store in this country. Fine, I’ll use the American one.

3. Argh! They only accept American credit cards! The only alternative is for me to buy a prepaid card!

4. What? The cards cost double their value? They’re crazy! Fine, I’ll buy the physical game.

5. A: I don’t understand why sales aren’t taking off.
    B: It’s piracy!
    C: (banging on door): Take my damned money!

5. GregS says:

Este cómic es divertido porque es la verdad.

6. royaltrux says:

Can someone tell us what it says?

7. rezmuff says:

Hey here’s another translation: It has the exact same concept, setup, and punchline as every other comic about piracy.

8. niktemadur says:

Hit the nail squarely on the head!  Living in Mexico, believe me I try to buy (and do) digital content, specifically ebooks and apps, but often the stuff I like is “not available in your country”.  There’s workarounds like VPN, but that’s what the comic is talking about:  complicated and legally gray techniques that cost extra money, just to get to the “legit” checkout line.

Even free Amazon content, such as ebooks in the public domain, have BS copyright restrictions that do NOT exist in Mexico, but that’s what happens in a lawyer culture, or rather anti-culture.
    But then, these very same ebooks can be internationally accessed and freely downloaded from sites like Project Gutenberg and converted with software like Calibre.  So I found a solution in this instance, but the question remains:  What the hell gives? And why should we reward these control-freak incompetent imbeciles with any sort of good faith? “Que coman mierda”.

9. pjcamp says:

Looks like XKCD became a couch potato.