Student Riots in Italy: a dispatch from Jasmina Tesanovic

18 Responses to “Student Riots in Italy: a dispatch from Jasmina Tesanovic”

1. ZikZak says:

It’s dangerous to call anyone who fights to defend themselves and others a “provocateur”.  Because you never know when you yourself will find yourself demonized according to your own definition.

“Peaceful legal manifestations” are nice, but when they start seriously challenging the powerful, they won’t stay legal.  Politicians make sure of that. And when the people insist on their rights in spite of the law, it won’t be peaceful.  The police make sure of that.

Not everyone is willing to sit calmly and sing songs while they take their beating, and I think that’s perfectly understandable.

• Aloisius says:

It might be an effective strategy in a country which is already unstable to provoke law enforcement and destroy property, but in a stable democracy, the black bloc simply makes a group look like uncivilized children who can’t even control their own baser instincts.

If you aren’t willing to “sit calmly and sing songs”, stay home.

• ZikZak says:

but in a stable democracy

And how can one tell if one lives in a stable democracy?  Ah yes, the absence of riots and civil disorder.  I sense a circular argument here.  At least consider that if people are rioting, it may be because they have realized they do not live in a democracy after all, and that the lives they thought they had earned are shockingly unstable.

2. ChicagoD says:

I really am not entirely sure what Ms. Tesanovic’s perspective is supposed to be here, but I do know that the cop all the way on the left looks ready to spend all day watching these protesters.

3. tyger11 says:

More people who “want stuff”, obviously. You know, things like health care, and a functioning society.

More and more, the world governments seem to be  resembling the Umbrella Corp, in that they’ll let the world go to hell in order to maintain control.

4. Mister44 says:

That guy on the left is enjoying the show. “Heh heh. All right!”

5. dethbird says:

This will continue as long as the culture of resource hoarding persists. People with deep coffers only in the world to make them deeper then what, rot in the ground with no discernable contribution to humanity.

• Ito Kagehisa says:

How would you propose to change this?  Keep in mind that if you say “I’m going to take your stuff” or anything of that sort, I’m going to say “be sure to bring a lot of friends when you visit, because ammo is cheap”.  But if you’ve got something better than forcible confiscation of my stuff, I’m all ears.

• Forced2Register says:

Isn’t taxation forcible confiscation of our stuff? can I shoot them?

• Ito Kagehisa says:

Isn’t taxation forcible confiscation of our stuff?

Personally, I voluntarily pay taxes to pay for the social goods I receive.  However, if you are one hundred percent abstaining from the use of all publicly funded goods and infrastructure, including roads, police, fire departments, education, social security, etc. etc. ad nausem, then for you maybe it’s forcible confiscation.  If you in fact have ever used any of these things, it’s not forcible confiscation, it’s debt collection by force, which is slightly different.

can I shoot them?

Sure, absolutely, as long as you are willing to die for that privilege.

6. Frank Diekman says:

Nice creep stares on the riot cops

7. Brad Bell says:

The IMF reversed it’s position and admitted it made a mistake advising governments to implement austerity policies. Experience with the policies in the UK certainly bears this out. Nonetheless, governments continue to use the policies as both a justification and a blunt instrument to beat citizens with. Why?