Improvised footballs from Africa

16 Responses to “Improvised footballs from Africa”

1. saint_al says:

Slightly off topic, but I wonder if all those flattened footballs that some US troops gave away to Iraqi kids ever were inflated. The story went that the kids wore them as hats that day, laughing at ridiculousness.

2. mtdna says:

This charity is trying to distribute a nearly indestructible self-inflating ball for third-world children: http://www.care2.com/causes/meet-the-indestructible-soccer-ball.html

• nixiebunny says:

At $40 each, they’re a bit rich for my taste.

• mtdna says:

I think you’re right. The high price will clearly limit how many will be donated, and makes buying them implausible for the people who would actually use them. But maybe if they can increase production and sales, the price will come down. I got one of these balls and I’m impressed with it. They would make great school yard balls anywhere, not just in the third world, because they’re so tough.

• CrivenS says:

$40 for two balls (one for me, one for kids in need) i can do but add an additional $40 postage to Australia and I’m afraid they have to count me out.

3. ComradeQuestions says:

Soccer balls.

4. dragonfrog says:

Am I the only one who doesn’t know what an Anokye Star is?

5. dethbird says:

I believe the care2.com link leads here, but just for the sake of linkifying:  http://www.oneworldfutbol.com/

6. GOOT says:

The NY Times had a great article about the One World Futbol Project recently. The idea of a “virtually indestructible ball” is brilliant. I am going to participate in their buy-one-give-one program.

7. Clark Starr says:

Love the one world futbol. Solves a problem I’d never considered. I too have done the buy-one-give-one on their site.