I write books. My latest is a YA science fiction novel called Homeland (it's the sequel to Little Brother). More books: Rapture of the Nerds (a novel, with Charlie Stross); With a Little Help (short stories); and The Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow (novella and nonfic). I speak all over the place and I tweet and tumble, too.

16 Responses to “Bibliomat: a vending machine for random rare and antiquarian books (with satisfying clunk)”

1. CH says:

Wonderful!!! And a truly ingenious system, although I would have liked it to remain a mystery (but curious me couldn’t look away).

… and now I want book vending machines, too!

2. Dave Horton says:

Excellent idear.

3. wreckrob8 says:

This should come with a gamble feature.

4. Damn!  I thought I knew all the really cool independent bookstores in Toronto.

5. Ian Osmond says:

I wonder how it can tell to drop just one book, given that the books are all different thicknesses, weights, sizes, and so forth.

I could blow through a couple hundred bucks on that thing way, way too fast. . .

6. MelSkunk says:

I read the title and went ‘damn that’s cool wish it was local’ then lowered my eyes ever so slightly and discovered IT WAS!
    I love collecting old books, this is PERFECT!!

7. AnonymousViewer says:

I am seeking a rare manuscript entitled “The King in Yellow.” I am most keen in acquiring it and studying it for the purposes of producing a play.

• MelSkunk says:

It is a fearful thing to fall into the hands of the living God!

• class_enemy says:

I put in my money hoping for a copy of “The King In Yellow”, too.

Much to my disappointment I got some morbid old Brit thing called “The Courier’s Tragedy” – which I dropped off in the Goodwill pickup box on my way home.  Two bucks down the drain…..

8. Psychsoftpc says:

wasn’t this in a fallout new vegas dlc?

9. mattfed says:

I’m happy to report that the biblio-mat is as wonderful as described. I was in Toronto last weekend and had the pleasure of hearing it whirr and thunk. The owner and I were both surprised that I already had a copy of the resulting book. I am equally (and pleasantly) surprised to see the biblio-mat in my morning boingboing perusal. Lovely bookshop by the way…

10. Carni Klirs says:

I just used this when I visited Toronto last weekend! Really cool idea. The owner of the store said that it needs to be calibrated, as earlier that week someone put in a coin and it spit out several books. So it is sort like a slot machine.

11. legotech says:

Ummm…not sure I want a surprise from anyplace called Monkey’s Paw. Historically, that hasn’t been a great deal.