Camel cigarettes help with Thanksgiving digestion

18 Responses to “Camel cigarettes help with Thanksgiving digestion”

1. Stefan Jones says:

You know what would “build up my sense of digestive well-being?”

Picturing my Aunt Adele, Uncle Ed, and Uncle Larry — all of whom died from lung cancer — tracking down the copywriter in the afterlife and taking turns kicking him in the balls.

2. Frank Diekman says:

What also makes a great Thanksgiving – getting drunk and bringing up uncomfortable family drama.

3. Boundegar says:

Mmm-mm!  Tomacco soup!

4. Hanglyman says:

That’s right, folks- better have at least one full pack of cigarettes handy, or you will be incapable of fully digesting a large meal. I also like how Camels being “MORE EXPENSIVE” is somehow a selling point.

5. Rachael Hoffman-Dachelet says:

I can’t believe they were talking about alkalinity back then!

6. Rachael Hoffman-Dachelet says:

Also, that’s a lot of cigarettes in a short time.

7. singrum says:

A turkey that looks strangely like female labia?

8. oldtaku says:

Very interesting early version of new luxury type marketing – think Panera or other slightly upscale brands where you give people 50% better stuff for twice the cost. See http://www.amazon.com/Trading-Up-Consumers-Goods-Companies/dp/1591840708 . Of course just saying ‘HEY IT IS MORE EXPENSIVE’ is not quite the way to do it.

9. Tim Cameron says:

Boy, they aren’t kidding! Back when I used to smoke, I primarily smoked Marlboro. Sometimes, though, I’d pick up a pack of Camel Turkish Golds, and let me tell you, those costlier tobaccos made me have to drop a deuce right away, every time!

10. pjcamp says:

Oddly, the Camels are the most appetizing thing on that table.

What is that, muddy termite pie? With butter on top?

11. I especially like the part about cigarettes clearing your palate. Becase we all know how sensitive smokers’ sense of taste and smell is, AMIRITE?

12. fergus1948 says:

I’m too old to start a rock band but if I did I would call the band ‘Smoking Camels!’

The phrase just gives me the greatest Daliesque mental images!

13. cdh1971 says:

Well…

The flavour of tobacco can complement the aftertaste of many foods, but the real utility of tobacco use before, during and after the Thanksgiving meal can be attributed to the nicotine content of the tobacco.

Thanksgiving is traditionally celebrated with one’s family and/or with one’s partner’s family. Such familial interaction  can be a natural, zesty enterprise, but it can also drive a person beyond the edge of madness.

Tobacco, smokes, nicotine, has been proven to be an effective salve for madness as seen by studies and observation of soldiers, prisoners and other patients committed for mental health reasons.

Nicotine gum, patches or lozenges are effective delivery alternatives if one cannot tolerate the traditional delivery methods.

14. jackbird says:

This is the only place I’ve ever seen “iron rations” used in a real-world setting.

15. SierraTango says:

Anyone know what year that ad is from? I’m guessing late ’40s to mid ’50s, but I’d love to know for sure.

16. niktemadur says:

“Después de un taco, un buen tabaco”
    “After a taco, a good tobacco”