Mystery of the deep-sea BLOOP solved

24 Responses to “Mystery of the deep-sea BLOOP solved”

1. Ashen Victor says:

But… the aliens, Atlantis, the sea monsters… What are we supposed to do now with our conspiracy theories?!
    Ice is not cool*!

*Ok, maybe cool to the touch but not cool cool.

2. niktemadur says:

Bittersweet.  On the one hand, a very intriguing question has been solved.  But on the other – every few years I bumped into the BLOOP audio file and was fascinated all over again, but now that we know what it is, the element of mystery has gone from BLOOP  to POOF!

• Leaping Lemur says:

I felt the same. And then I went “damn ice, u scary.” It makes the weirdest noises, and I am both happy with, and terrified by, the science that brought me this knowledge that I can never unlearn. Even if I may want to.

• niktemadur says:

I seem to remember reading about when North Pole explorers camp for the night and lay on their side, one ear is pressed to the icy ground, and all sorts of random, indescribable noises clang and rumble from below, in the distance.  Must be fascinating for a while, but then I’d probably have to lay face up to catch any sort of sleep.

3. efergus3 says:

And UFOs are all just the planet Venus or swamp gas. RIIIIIIIIIGHT.

4. cdh1971 says:

All other bloops and bleems are ball-lightening. The orb above your house - ball-lightening. The probe in your ahnoos - ball-lightening.

5. Antinous / Moderator says:

Icequake?  I think not.

6. efergus3 says:

Ahhhh, dear Debbie. She asked me to her senior prom but I couldn’t make it. What memories that brings back.

7. AnonymousViewer says:

It’s Cthulhu snoring!!!

8. newhavenstumpjumper says:

I thought this was debunked as the researchers 5 year old son recording his farts in the bathtub…

9. cellocgw says:

That’s what they want you to think.   It’s Hunt for Red October all over again, with a new, as yet unknown, propulsion system.

10. Yeah, but what CAUSED the icequake? Natural processes…or a shoggoth rolling over in its sleep?!

11. gwyllion says:

ok – then WHY all the talk that it could only have been made from an organic (living) source – that has been the question all along. Consistent with  the vocalizations of whatever – whale-like but massive in size. Seems like the ice theory would have been put forth at the beginning (most probable theories first, right?), and why no repeats?

12. gwyllion says:

p.s.  – i am a hopeful skeptic – but  have loved the idea of a Cthulhu bloop-monster! Bloop to poof is right!!!!!

13. Boundegar says:

So wait.  Somebody dug up a fifteen year old tape of the ocean going bloop.  And they said it was an icequake bloop.  And this is headline news.

• Christian Jacobsen says:

The Bloop has been an open question in oceanography for more than 20 years. There are things at the edges of every scientific discipline that puzzle scientists, and they think about them in the back of their heads when they sleep at night…

The Bloop (and other odd audio phenomena) have not had an adequate explanation for decades, so they nagged at the back of people’s brains.

So yes, having a long-unexplained phenomenon finally explained is news.

14. Ian Wood says:

They explain the bloop. And the very next day it turns out that Sandy Island was never there.

Coincidence?

I THINK NOT.

15. kallikanzaros says:

Some of you are making fun of this… but when the Sleeping Lord of Rlyeh finally wakes up, it AINT GONNA BE FUNNY…
    You have been warned

16. howaboutthisdangit says:

It is the sound of the sleeping, flatulating Cthulhu.  If the sound doesn’t drive you mad, the smell will.