Jamie Love from KEI sez, "During the WIPO negotiations on disabilities, the White House has told U.S. Blind groups it will kill a WIPO treaty on copyright exceptions for persons who are blind or have other disabilities if the treaty covers audiovisual works, including those used in education, including distance teaching programs. The fight at WIPO is being fought over the definition of a work. The US wants to limit the exceptions to works [in the form of text, notation and/or related illustrations], and opposes [in any media]. India, country with a large film industry, is among those who want to exceptions to cover audiovisual works, and India is supported by other countries. Brazil has suggested the decision on audiovisual works be left to national discretion. The US delegation has sent a tough message to the blind organizations, effectively threatening to kill the treaty is AV works are included."

10 Responses to “White House tells blind people: the MPAA says we have to kill your treaty, sorry.”

1. Mickey_disqus says:

I am so sick of this. I have made it my personal mission in life to pirate everything I can get my hands on, as long as the copyright owner is involved with the MPAA. I don’t even watch it. I just grab it and give it away as hard as I can.

2. EH says:

HOPE: Helping Our Powerful Elites

3. Warren_Terra says:

I don’t suppose you’d consider editing your headline from “White House to blind people” to “White House tells blind people”? Surely I can’t be the only person who initially misread it …

4. ffabian says:

Aaaah the USA making the world a better place …. again. Another initiative to make the rest of the world love them even more … who doesn’t love someone who’s taking away education for the blind?

5. That_Anonymous_Coward says:

For the visually impaired…
    The White House took a large pile of cash and gave you the middle finger, knowing you wouldn’t be able to see it.

6. chellberty says:

Christ what assholes.

7. blissfulight says:

Obama would get this, but he’s too busy mulling over kill lists for the drones.

8. GyroMagician says:

I’m with Brazil on this. If the US want to screw their own citizens, I don’t think the rest of the world is likely to stop them. But why do the rest of us have to suffer? We’ve seen far too many of these international ‘agreements’, defined by US lobby groups and inflicted on the rest of the world. I still don’t understand why the rest of the world is going along with so much of it. Sad, sad, sad.

9. John Saucier says:

I would say do not get involved in treaties with any country that throws copyright on the table as a serious issue for which no exception can be made.

10. teapot says:

Civil disobedience. You can’t throw us all in jail, assholes.

Day by day the remaining shred of guilt I hold for downloading like it’s going out of style disappears thanks to shit like this.