47 Responses to “Finnish police confiscate 9-y-o's laptop after she downloads a song from the Pirate Bay”

1. Øyvind says:

It would probably be more efficient to go after the parents, though. A 9 year old with her own laptop, that knows not only where to go, but also how to download? Odds are the parents are heavy users themselves…

2. Martijn says:

Good job, going after your own customers! She bought the album and went to the concert. Of course that needs to be punished!

3. TTVK is not a governmental body, it is a private company with the suffix Ry in Finland. It serves its members, who have the monopoly in copyrights, rather than the artists.

4. Prosecution lawyer: “And what happened to Winnie the Pooh, little girl?  He got so GREEDY he got his little head STUCK in a honey-pot.”

5. Michael Rosefield says:

Guys, stop being so predictably reactionary.

I think that, if you took the time to think about it, it would be fairly obvious that if that girl hadn’t downloaded that track, she would have bought the album 15 times and purchased at least 13 tickets for herself for the concert.

6. Bodhipaksa says:

Thank goodness technology in the 1970s didn’t allow for our cassette recorders to be confiscated when we taped songs from the radio or recorded LPs.

7. peregrinus says:

I used to be a great consumer of CDs.  I have about 1,000.  But over the last 10 years, with all the vicious tactics employed by the media companies and their minions, I have become inured to the lure.

I cannot think of the last time I bought a CD, and I’ve got a good memory.  I don’t listen to commercial radio (it’s too annoying, too repetitive).  I don’t download anything, illegally or otherwise.  I have to pay my BBC license, but they actually have great broadcasts, despite setting royalty payments way too high.

I just … hate the way these companies act.  It’s so distasteful I want nothing at all to do with them.

• IndexMe says:

I stopped buying CDs too. Unfortunately there is a lot less music in my life.

• GlyphGryph says:

This is why I only buy music from groups not associated with these mobsters. It’s a bit harder, but hey – most of them are fine with me listening before I buy anyway.

8. Gendun says:

Of course, she most likely did not “download a song from the Pirate Bay,” she downloaded a magnet file. There’s a not-insubstantial technical and legal difference.

• t3kna2007 says:

+1 for making the kind of fine-grained but important distinction usually glossed over in the typically-lower-res news media.

Also, gag order? WTF is that about?

• That_Anonymous_Coward says:

Copyright trolls around the globe use nondisclosure agreements to protect how they operate, how much they extort, and how the shakedown works.

• bcsizemo says:

Well from TPB’s point of view it makes a lot of difference, but I’m not sure it does from her side.  She still downloaded the song/album, she just acquired it via a magnet file hosted by TPB.

9. Kaleberg says:

This sounds like something Cory Doctorow would write with running gun battles, deadly midnight raids, and diabolical scheming in the battle between youthful fans and the hired goons of their favorite bands and performers.

• Andrew Singleton says:

More like ‘hired goons from the record labels saying they’re representing the bands… then the bands being horrified how their names are attached to this and sue.’

10. miasm says:

Another disaster averted by the timely and conscientious adjudication of tolerance by our wise and perspicacious leaders, brows trammelled with naught but a crease of concern for all of the free and happy world.

11. Jim says:

One possible solution to overly zealous copyright enforcement is to promote a wide-spread and long duration boycott of all copyrighted music until the bastards go out of business.  After that, just mention to the movie and book guys that if they don’t come up with more reasonable copyright solutions, they’ll go the way of the music industry.

• Itsumishi says:

No thanks, as all music created automatically falls under copyright unless the creator specifically licences it under say, Creative Commons (which of course is another form of copyright) I think that action might be a little overzealous. The concept is also completely unworkable as your view wouldn’t be shared with even a large minority and by extension the boycott would be rather fruitless.

By all means, avoid buying music from record labels that are involved with this sort of heavy handed approach, but don’t expect it will run them out of business, and please keep supporting the record companies and independent artists that don’t use these sorts of techniques (despite still copyrighting their music).

12. Grok says:

I’ve turned my back on commercial radio, i-tune type sites and the like.
    I attend live performances were possible and buy directly from the performers, or buy directly from them online.

The major labels have been lashing out more than ever because their control and profits are shrinking. They will soon be a bad memory.

I say good riddance! Most have never really stood for the artist or their art, just profit.

We are fundamentally at a point with the w.w.web that any artist can promote themselves and handle the sales of their own content. This is the future I think.

13. TelmeaStory says:

Ambient music from Limbik Frequencies on Screamer Radio.

14. Mitchell Glaser says:

What they didn’t tell you is that the little girl burned dozens of copies of the song to CD’s and sold them on eBay!

But seriously, you wouldn’t prosecute anyone if that girl had stolen a candy bar, but she saw a link dangled in front of her and suddenly – a crime has been committed! Give me 600 euros, right now!

15. Florian Bösch says:

And that’s how you raise a hardcore pirate party member.

16. Timmy says:

Can we at least agree that all artists are better off now that this little girl has been punished?

• howaboutthisdangit says:

Absolutely.  We all know that the recording industry’s first concern is for its performers.

Oh, wait…..