This post is sponsored by Best Buy. What will your gift do?
You don’t take a photograph, you make it. - Ansel Adams
With that in mind, here is a fine collection of tools to make beautiful photographs. The rest is in the eye of the beholder.
* Nikon D3100 14.2-Megapixel DSLR Camera with 18-55mm VR Lens
. We prefer red.
* Nikon - AF-S DX Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6 Zoom Lens. One of the two lenses that are all almost anyone would ever need.
* Nikon - Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G AF-S Lens. Beyond these two, you're starting a collection and that can get dangerous.
* Nikon - SB-700 AF Speedlight External Flash. Light has color.
* Manfrotto - 055 Series 70.3" Tripod. Steady as she goes.
* Manfrotto - Ball Head. With mounts, you get what you pay for.
* PNY - 32GB Secure Digital High Capacity (SDHC) Class 4 Memory Card. Memory is cheap; buy several.
* Lowepro - Slingshot 102 AW Camera Shoulder Bag. Take care of your toys.
I asked Amy Parness, the co-founder of Sparkle Labs, maker of fantastic educational electronics kits, to write a Medium post about gender and the business of being a maker business person. Her terrific essay calls out the problems with “pink girly engineering kits.” From Medium:
Zero UI is the new term for “invisible interfaces”—what happens in the future when all the clicking and tapping and typing is history: “If you look at the history of computing, starting with the jacquard loom in 1801, humans have always had to interact with machines in a really abstract, complex way.” [Fast Company]
CEO Dick Costolo will resign, to be replaced in the interim by Jack Dorsey
SitePoint Premium is the ultimate e-learning library for web developers, designers, and digital professionals. Famous for their web development books written by industry leaders, they’ve expanded their content library to include in-depth video courses and short, handy screencasts partnering with A Book Apart and UX Mastery. Whatever you want to achieve in your web career, […]
Skip the technical jargon and get right to taking amazing, professional-quality photos with this complete training. The Hollywood Art Institute Photography Course includes 22 modules filled with tutorials on how to profit off of your photography, or simply capture your memories in the manner they deserve.Accredited by the Photography Education Accreditation CouncilDive into this 22 […]
Power up your gadgets in the most unexpected places with the extremely compact SolarJuice battery pack. SolarJuice charges up at home like your average battery pack, but also lets you add extra juice on-the-go using its built-in solar panel—so you’ll never be left unplugged from the digital world.4.5 Stars on Amazon!Simultaneously charges 2 devices at […]