This post is sponsored by Best Buy. What will your gift do?
You don’t take a photograph, you make it. - Ansel Adams
With that in mind, here is a fine collection of tools to make beautiful photographs. The rest is in the eye of the beholder.
* Nikon D3100 14.2-Megapixel DSLR Camera with 18-55mm VR Lens
. We prefer red.
* Nikon - AF-S DX Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6 Zoom Lens. One of the two lenses that are all almost anyone would ever need.
* Nikon - Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G AF-S Lens. Beyond these two, you're starting a collection and that can get dangerous.
* Nikon - SB-700 AF Speedlight External Flash. Light has color.
* Manfrotto - 055 Series 70.3" Tripod. Steady as she goes.
* Manfrotto - Ball Head. With mounts, you get what you pay for.
* PNY - 32GB Secure Digital High Capacity (SDHC) Class 4 Memory Card. Memory is cheap; buy several.
* Lowepro - Slingshot 102 AW Camera Shoulder Bag. Take care of your toys.
David Robinson used the data from the 28,657 people who self-selected to take the Stack Overflow survey to investigate the relationship between programmer pay and the conventions of using either tabs or spaces to mark indents, and found a persistent, significant correlation between using spaces and bringing home higher pay.
It’s the end of an era, sort of: Fraunhofer IIS, the developers of the MP3 audio compression format, announced that they are ceasing their licensing program. In a blog post, spokesman Matthias Rose says that it’s had a good 20-year run and is obsolete. But it’s also true that the decoding patents expired last year, […]
Freddy deBoer writes that he’s been telling the same joke for years about Silicon Valley’s only product, which might be universalized as “At last, a way to verb with nouns on the internet!” But the social-media techopoly is stable, now, and so the venture capitalists have moved on to the three terrible trends that will […]
Learning a new language will give your resume an upgrade, sure, but it will also provide a huge cognitive boost for mental tasks outside of translation and conversation. Bilingual brains have been shown to be better at handling multiple concurrent tasks, and gaining fluency in a new tongue is an amazing way to improve memory, […]
If you struggle to get a good night’s rest, consider replacing your pillows before dropping hundreds on a new mattress. You can give your tired neck a break with a 2-pack of memory foam pillows, available now in the Boing Boing Store.Each of these pillows is stuffed with cooling polyurethane foam that molds to your […]
Although flagship smartphones are unlikely to adopt heavy-duty outer casing anytime soon, you can always prepare your device for the outdoors with a beefy case and and an external battery like this Nomad Tile Trackable PowerPack, available in the Boing Boing Store for $119.95.The Nomad Tile can fully recharge an iPhone 7 over three times […]