15 Responses to “The original Boy Meets World stars will play parents in the Disney Channel sequel”

1. None of us are grown up people.

2. Stefan Jones says:

He ended up with Topanga?

I always found that kind of thing — the hero / heroine of a teen drama ending up with, GOLLY!, the love interest introduced in the first episode — kind of unrealistic and lazy. Part of the reason I stopped following Boy Meets World was that ongoing drama.  People, even teens with obsessive crushes, move on.

As I recall, The Wonder Years ended with the narrator saying that Winnie (sp?) ended up at his wedding . . . with her own husband and kids. That struck me as much more true to life.

Well . . . I hope the Disney sequel isn’t one of those horrible things with wisecracking goofy characters and a creepy overwhelming laugh track.

• I hope the Disney sequel isn’t one of those horrible things with wisecracking goofy characters and a creepy overwhelming laugh track.

Wasn’t the original?

• Stefan Jones says:

I don’t think I would have watched more than a couple of episodes if it was. Those Disney tween comedies are so over-the-top giggly. I’d rather chew aluminum foil for a half an hour.

• Dan Libera says:

There’s a problem with your comparison. The Wonder Years was a show for adults. Boy Meets World was a show for kids. I’ve never watched any Disney channel shows so I don’t know what those are like, but BMW was pretty filled with wisecracking, goofy characters and overwhelming laugh track. It was in the same friday night lineup as Steve Urkel which should give you some context.

3. hypnosifl says:

When they got married on Boy Meets World in 2000, Cory and Topanga were in college and could have been around eighteen or nineteen, putting them in their early thirties now, as well as their real-life counterparts. They’d be very young parents, for sure — but it’s 100 percent feasible.

But they didn’t have a baby by the end of the show, so the kid couldn’t be more than 12 now…so what’s that about “his character’s fourteen-year-old daughter”? Unless they set it at least a couple years in the future, this sequel series is ERRONEOUS!

edit: although I suppose that, like the new Star Trek movies, this show might take place in a divergent timeline.

4. Jean Dunk says:

I’ll only watch it if Mr. Feenie is one of Riley’s teachers…

5. Dean Putney says:

Bring back Maitland Ward as Rachel and I’m in!

6. blueelm says:

I never knew this show existed. Should I feel bad or good about that?

7. webstu says:

All I care about is Eric.

Hoping he married the President’s daughter.  Or Kim Possible.Remaining cast, story, everything: Don’t care.

8. amarx says:

Hopefully there’s a place for Angus T. Jones, who is now seeking career advice from Charlie Sheen: http://hollywoodandswine.com/angus-t-jones-turns-to-charlie-sheen-for-help-on-getting-kicked-off-two-and-a-half-men/

9. cjporkchop says:

“Which means that since I’m the same age as they are, I must be a full-on grownup person, too.”

I have that reaction anytime I see a former classmate. I still don’t feel grown-up, and it feels really weird to know that there are doctors and lawyers and such who are younger than I am.

10. I read somewhere else last week that a large part of the plot was meant to revolve around the fact that Riley’s dad is also her homeroom teacher or something like that. So supposedly there will be a reasonable amount of Cory Matthews on-screen.

11. bcsizemo says:

For all those nostalgic 90′s feelings I watch ABC Family’s Melissa & Joey…

12. dethbird says:

I thought Topanga went on to become a type of pudding. Yet. Here we are.