UPDATE: Gilda's Club is not phasing Gilda Radner out completely

15 Responses to “UPDATE: Gilda's Club is not phasing Gilda Radner out completely”

1. Doug Black says:

I can’t believe nobody has said it already…

“Never mind.”

2. Cat Chew says:

Even if I had no clue about who Gilda Radner was, I’d rather walk into a place called Gilda’s Club than a place that sounds like it wants to buttress bad cells.

• Brainspore says:

Agreed. All the people who seem to think the organization’s name needs to have “cancer” in it seem to be missing the point that it’s not supposed to be a depressing place.

• They really seem to have lost their meaning and purpose. I went to our local club during my cancer treatment and was treated perfectly horribly because my cancer wasn’t in my girlie parts. I’m a woman with a cancer more often seen in males. I give my charitable dollars to other organizations, because Gilda’s Club is a perfectly hideous caricature of what it once was. Putting the word ‘cancer’ into the name pretty much cements that shut permanently.

3. Jay says:

Totally unrelated: That logo is horrifying.

• Christopher says:

Really? I think it’s hilarious. But then I know who Gilda Radner is, and, yesterday, when I walked up the street to take some pictures of the Gilda’s Club sign near where I work, I did think that the picture of her could be kind of scary to someone who wasn’t familiar with her.

I could just imagine some kids seeing that and saying, “No, don’t make me go in there, the woman with the big hair looks like she’s going to eat me!”

4. Nell Anvoid says:

Rosanne Rosanadana is relieved.

5. brillow says:

I don’t get all this outrage and protest and petitions.

It seems to me that if a club wants to change its name then that’s its business.

Why are people who are not members of this club and have probably never donated or heard of it before giving these cancer people greif about what they want to call their support group?
    We need a national “Mind Your Own Business Club.”

6. lafave says:

It’s a good thing we don’t have to know  any celebrity who died before we were born. In fact, I doubt that there is even a way to learn more about people who died before I was born.

7. I still have my Gilda Radner live from new york record in the basement.
    Way back in the 90s I converted it to mp3 using cooledit 97 and some command line tools.  She was a huge influence on an 8 year old me who around the same time discovered the holocaust and instantly decided there certainly was no god. When I would baby sit or hang around girls little brothers or sisters I would recite to Tiny Kingdom (or the 3 little pigs from cheech and chong). She was beautiful, bold, gross, absurd, smart, and fucken hilarious. But I realize her comedy doesnt hold up in this age. It’s cliche, but it was a more innocent time and her comedy wont be much appreciated by those exposed to howard stern (Gilda was the first guest to ever cry and walk off the show) and southpark. The goals of the organization are to lend community support for cancer, and I think Gilda, who also seemed so humble and sweet, would be ok with dropping her name if she felt it wasnt doing that cause any justice.