Tolkien superfan Stephen Colbert will do an entire Hobbit-themed week of shows

15 Responses to “Tolkien superfan Stephen Colbert will do an entire Hobbit-themed week of shows”

1. capnmarrrrk says:

That is so beyond cool I feel new words need to be coined for it….Wait! I got it… https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gy0ylOts1tI

2. Ethan Tucker says:

Here in NZ we offer visitors a choice of a free elf or hobbit as you exit airport Customs. It’s the least we can do.

3. franko says:

has it been confirmed that he did indeed film a cameo? they’ve all been so coy about it. also, i fully appreciate his level of geekiness over tolkien, but i wish he’d devote some time to discussing the books — it looks like he’s only going on a movie tangent.

• James Wood says:

Well, when Neil Gaiman was on, they talked about Tom Bombadil

• Finnagain says:

Uber geeky. Good for him!

• sburns54 says:

I loved when Tom Bombadil popped up in FELLOWSHIP. So unaffected by the surrounding darkness and such a respite. Since he was totally ignored in the first movies,I’d like to see him in THE HOBBIT, as I understand they are incorporating parts of the mythos from other sources, though I doubt it will happen.

4. Richard Moore says:

I’m fine with Colbert doing an occasional movie-themed week.

Just as long as he doesn’t make a Hobbit of it.

5. ObeyMyBrain says:

Well, he already has 2 swords, Sting and Anduril, Flame of the West. So It’s probably going to be an elf. :)

6. Harvey says:

I can’t believe the network was willing to give him a whole 24 hours per show, the time it would take to Tolkenize a half hour of programming. I can’t wait for him to describe his guests’ bios for 8 hours straight.

7. Thorzdad says:

Is this purely the idea of super-fan Colbert? Or is this an act of “marketing synergy” paid for by the studio?