The social science of Middle Earth

12 Responses to “The social science of Middle Earth”

1. Brainspore says:

And nary a mention of Orcs.

2. unsurprisingly, the sex ratio in middle earth matches the sex ratio of people reading about middle earth.

• retepslluerb says:

Well, I wonder what would happen if the same method was applied to history.

I’m pretty sure that it would show that America was mostly populated by white men between the age of 16 and 60.

• Boundegar says:

I dunno, when I was a teen it seemed like the girls were reading LotR more than the guys.  Has that changed?

• niktemadur says:

The most ardent LOTR fan I’ve ever come across is a woman from Spain.  A hardcore geek among hardcore geeks to be sure, she’s one of the world’s top ten authorities on galactic structure and evolution.  My geek credentials weren’t too shabby with her, I read the books back in the mid-eighties and can hold a bit of my weight when it comes to cosmology.

My sweet, beloved astrophysicist and I had short but meaningful conversations about Asimov’s “Foundation”, including the “Killer Bees” new trilogy and we even had an impromptu discussion about “Stefno’s Ride”!  There’s geeky ladies, but she is one geeky grand dame.

I ended up installing and learning KDE on my iMac to help her crunch observatory data, but for external reasons she had to return to Madrid.

3. SomeGuyNamedMark says:

Now they need to graph cause of death information.  Very few Orcs made it to retirement and a couple of Ents probably ended up as coffee tables.

4. Oliver Crosby says:

A fairly mild form of social analysis. I would love to see the political economy of middle earth, or something like that.

• Boundegar says:

I agree.  Basing this only on named characters makes it almost meaningless.  Some extrapolation from real world data would have been much more interesting.