Flintlock/knife

14 Responses to “Flintlock/knife”

1. Paul Renault says:

If the bullet used was expelled with sufficient force, this would be perfect for murder-suicides.

/Y’know, Newton’s Third Law and all that.

Edited to add: I just remembered that David Kucer, of MacKay St., in Montreal, was a regular customer at a photo shop where I worked. He makes miniature firearms (1/3 scale) along with the 1/3 scale bullets – from scratch. An astoundingly gifted machinist. So I visited his website.

He had a British Hunting Sword – sword/pistol. At the slide show at the link, click on the sixth image at the bottom to see it.

I think he is responsible for the fact that I have a hard time being impressed by the ‘Maker’-ness of using a wicker basket ty-wrapped to an old bicycle as a flower pot.

I guess I’m like the fake Lady Fiona McTarry (having been replaced by Agent Mimi in the 1967 version of Casino Royale) who, after experiencing Bond’s substantial, um, manliness just once, decides that no other man will do and since she can’t have him, retires to a nunnery.

2. jackrabbitslim says:

This kind of combination weapon used to be fairly common. There were sword/pistols, axe/pistols, mace/pistols, pistols with knives on and so forth.
    The really neat bit is that I know of at least one person making these nowadays. Bruce Bump makes crazy beautiful “cut’n’shoots”.

I’ve never been able to figure out how much they cost. Based on the level of craftsmanship I would assume that, since I have to ask, I can’t afford them.

3. nmfo says:

Lends new meaning to “bringing a knife to a gunfight”

4. Ramone says:

Upon first glance I wondered why a tiny astronaut was sitting atop an elaborate knife.

5. SedanChair says:

OK, this time I’m gonna get it. This time…I’ve got to concentrate….

Concentrate…

*BLAM* FUCK, I JUST SHOT ANOTHER BAGEL

6. Deidzoeb says:

Am I understanding the direction of the gun correctly? — You’ve either got a knife aiming back at you when you fire at something, or a gun aiming back at you when you cut something?

7. ObeyMyBrain says:

Perfect for those frequent occasions when assassins come at you during morning tea and crumpets.

8. Charles Richter says:

F. X. Richter made a whole serving set:

No more arguing over who carves the turkey.

9. Selena60 says:

I think that’s the kind of weapon they were referring to in the “right to bears arms” section of the constitution.

10. Jorpho says:

Due to the fact that the knife is the grip for the pistol, writer assumes there would normally be a scabbard of some sort otherwise firing the pistol could be a little hazardous.

Aye, you could get butter all over your hand.  Nobody likes that.