Symbolia: new tablet zine for comics journalism

10 Responses to “Symbolia: new tablet zine for comics journalism”

1. And by new “tablet” magazine, you, and they, mean iPad.  Oh, and a pdf for everyone else.  As always Android tablets and anything else is an afterthought. Why can’t companies launch with apps and formats for *all* readers simultaneously? Seriously.
    Hearing, “Ooh, ooh, we’ve got a tablet app for you”, and going and seeing only an iPad app is getting old.  Launches are planned, there’s no reason they can’t be planned to include more than just 1/3 to 1/2 your audience.
    AND, you have to pay for a subscription to get the preview? Do I get my money back if I don’t like the preview?

2. Frederik says:

Untill the Nexus 7 came along, Android tablets diden’t sell verry well. They just weren’t all that good. Not enough of a user base for everybody to invest heavely in making an app for both platforms at launch.

3. millie fink says:

Looks intriguing, but they’re shooting themselves in the foot by not giving away the first issue while offering a subscription to subsequent ones.

4. gastronaut says:

Look at the website- they do in fact have a free preview issue.

5. Xeni Jardin says:

Christ what a bunch of fucking whiners. This is a really cool project put together obviously as an independent labor of love, not backed by much funding, and rather than commenting on the sincerity and quality of the content, random whining? Pathetic.

• millie fink says:

Point taken, but since none of the content was part of your post, it takes awhile to get to it and read it. Now that I have, I can attest to how well done and informative the piece on the Salton Sea is, and I look forward to reading the rest of the (free!) first issue.

6. spiregrain says:

If you like this idea, you might enjoy the way it’s being practised in print by David “Ziggy” Green in Private Eye. His “Scene and Heard” is a regular half-page cartoon of a recent news-worthy event. I’m not sure how he works but each one gives the impression he’s been there and spoken to the participants and onlookers, and drawn a few little scenes and talking heads.

Excellent stuff, and well worth a look if you can get hold of a recent Private Eye.

7. Ceci Land says:

This is really well done.  I downloaded the premiere issue and immediately subscribed after reading only a couple of the articles.  I was amazed at how much information each article was able to convey so quickly.  I *loved* the article on all the fish the lower Congo River.   Plus I really got a good idea …or over all tone of life in Kurdistan.  The graphic novel/comic style of journalism just seemed to click for me.  I showed it to several folks from work and they thought it worked really well to be able to “transmit” a larger amount of information without the wall ‘o text approach. It held our attention really well.