CD of conservative folk music from the early 1960s

18 Responses to “CD of conservative folk music from the early 1960s”

1. jackbird says:

See also Johnny Cash’s “The one on the left was on the right.”

• kiptw says:

I put my 45 of that on my iPod a few years back.

I haven’t done that yet with my LP “The Goldwaters Play Folk Songs to Bug the Liberals,” though. Discuss.

2. Funk Daddy says:

Spooky man, would rather Gutenberg never did his thing than see opposing views in print.

Could be that the world would be more pleasing to a Conservative mindset were there no advancements like printing presses. It sure seems they want to go back there sometimes.

3. Finnagain says:

Eeeek. Folk is even worse than I thought!

4. s2redux says:

FWIW, the Conelrad page for Janet Greene is an interesting read; another voice in the chorus of nascent Women’s Lib experiences coming out of the ’50s U.S. entertainment biz. Sorry, no froth-and-spittle in that write-up: “Surprisingly, Greene actually admired her liberal anti-model [Baez] and went to see her in concert in the mid-sixties: “She was a wonderful artist, I thought…I’m not saying she was a Communist. She was just a liberal. You know that time, the sixties, all the mostly young people were swept away by free love and all that stuff.” I wonder what the anti-Communist house concerts were like….

• zuben says:

“I’m not saying she was a Communist. She was just a liberal.”

Hmm. I think this line could work in a conservative folk song.

5. SomeGuyNamedMark says:

“No change is blow’n in the wind…”

“This land is my land, this land is my land…”

6. Cowicide says:

Not surprisingly… it sucks.  Most conservatives are talentless hacks.  I mean, the best comedian they have to offer is Dennis Miller and he’s never recovered since his nervous breakdown on 9/11.  They have some good actors here and there.  But, overall… man… they suck.

7. Andy Harwood says:

This reminds me of one of my favourite Kids in the Hall Sketches: http://youtu.be/8jEGUOv68-s

8. cosmiccaveman says:

Have the disc already. Great music (Janet Greene totally swings!) with impressive booklet/digipak full of period photos/covers etc…Couldn’t recommend it more for music lovers/esoteric buffs…

9. taddyd says:

To answer the question in Dolan’s song:
    BAEZ was very active in Poland and the Czech Republics’ non-violent resistance to the former Communist regimes.