26 Responses to “Major studios send legal threats to Google demanding removal of links to their own Facebook pages and more”

1. Peter says:

If you declare yourself to be infringing copyright, you are, by definition, declaring that you do not own the copyright.

And if they don’t own it, who does?

I move that this intellectual property be ruled to be abandoned.

• Mordicai says:

I think, under nautical law, you are now the owner of How I Met Your Mother.

• Peter says:

Woohoo!  Now I can produce a spinoff featuring Ranjit the limo driver!

• Mordicai says:

Just don’t let it go on four or five seasons too long.

• Peter says:

Don’t worry, I have a perfect out.  If the show starts getting stale, I’ll have a zombie apocalypse happen, and turn the show into that.  I’ll probably do the same for HIMYM…
            turns out, he met her fighting off zombies!

(And continuity to the following will be explained as him being an unreliable narrator, wanting to spare his kids the horror of the two years of zombie apocalypse that the world has tried to forget)

• Andrew Singleton says:

Unfortunately even orphaned/abandoned works cannot be claimed by other parties.

• Peter says:

Why you gotta step on my dreams, man?

(Although I think there might be a difference between an orphaned work, where the copyright holder can’t be located, and one where the actual owner has abandoned all claim to it, the latter could be argued to be deliberately placed into the public domain which means anybody can use it… assuming that’s possible in the country in question, although I wouldn’t be surprised if it’s not the case in the US)

• Andrew Singleton says:

Could. Then again if that were the case wouldn’t ‘Song of the South’ be Pub Domain rather than Disney owned? I mean they’ve been denying they had anything to do with it for how long now?

2. angusm says:

I think Google should give them what they ask for.

3. Boundegar says:

This is starting to remind me of the War on Drugs.  They don’t seem to care how badly they hurt people – and hurt themselves – because the only alternative is to appear “soft.”  Unfortunately, I’ve never heard of an effective strategy to allow people like this to deescalate.  They’re like adrenalin junkies, except with hundreds of lawyers.

4. xzzy says:

Torrentfreak site has updated stating that the source of the takedown notices was probably not authorized to issue those notices, as their homepage has been taken down.

So it’s starting to appear this is less about content owners being idiots and more of a “point and laugh at how easy it is to exploit the DMCA.”

5. Doran says:

Until there is punishment for sending bad take-down notices, this will continue forever.

6. yeahyeahwhtever says:

All good examples to someday be used before a judge to illustrate how careless the major studios are when they send DMCA notices.

• That_Anonymous_Coward says:

And yet this same kind of crack research is being used to push 6 strikes into the US.
      No wonder they don’t dare do with with laws, people would expect there to be real proof.

• webstu says:

Hey, it’s totally valid!  The lawyer’s teenage secretary ran the software and that link came up!  Computers don’t make mistakes!

7. TooGoodToCheck says:

If a thing’s worth doing, it’s worth doing well.  Apparently the flip side is that if it was a stupid idea to start, you might as well do the most inept, shitty job of which you are capable.

8. Øyvind says:

I hope they diligently remove all the  offensive links, legit or no. That way, hopefully, someone, somewhere might learn something.

9. I tell people “don’t quote me” all the time.  That’s self referential.

10. Florian Bösch says:

Yes, I agree, the internet would be far better of if we completely erased the existence of those MAFIAA affiliates from the internet. It will be like they never existed.

11. jbond says:

For symmetry, I suggest a 3 strikes DMCA approach. Make 3 incorrect DMCA takedown notices and the source is blacklisted so that all future DMCA takedowns from them are automatically discarded.

12. Damien Guard says:

You’re assuming that removal of non-infringing links was a mistake and not an attempt to manipulate search rankings…