Mark Frauenfelder is the founder of Boing Boing and the editor-in-chief of MAKE and Cool Tools. Twitter: @frauenfelder. His new book is Maker Dad: Lunch Box Guitars, Antigravity Jars, and 22 Other Incredibly Cool Father-Daughter DIY Projects

TAGS:

26 Responses to “Star Trek Federation: The First 150 Years”

1. Brainspore says:

I can’t wait to read up on those Eugenics Wars of the 1990s that plunged the Earth into a new Dark Age, ultimately culminating in the Post-Atomic Horror of the early 21st century.

2. David Haddad says:

They made a mistake in the introduction: they claimed that the Federation was “intergalactic”, but the Federation has no extra-galactic members! This book is ruined! GRAAAH

• Brainspore says:

That claim is contradicted by the Star Trek reboot, which clearly establishes that the Beastie Boys’ “Intergalactic” has since been adopted as the Federation’s official anthem.

• spejic says:

I heard it as intragalactic. And if I never listen to the recording again I will have no reason to think I’m wrong.

3. Haven’t you people been following the new movie?  That 150 years of Federation history came undone because an evil Romulan came from the future and destroyed Vulcan!    How can you claim proper nerd cred without knowing that?

4. Ian Wood says:

A special exhibit in the future is a book?

I am not in the future. I want an app.

• Dave Jenkins says:

Actually, I find it interesting that, just 3 posts later, we have an obituary about “The Daily” and how ipad apps are inferior news vehicles compared to the web (to say nothing of printed books) for reference.

Memory Alpha is one of the biggest most active fan-wikis on the web.  It’s doing its job.  This (released just in time for Christmas) looks to be the gift to give the trekkie in your family, if only until it winds up as another plastic tchochkie and jam-smeared book to find in Goodwill 6 years from now (or: find them still wrapped in plastic going for 3x the retail price at ComicCons).

5. K-9 says:

Nice looking book, but I’m still trying to figure out why it ships with a Roomba.

6. webstu says:

Nice table!

7. I bet if that were in 1080p we could have just read the whole thing from the flip-through.

As soon as Mark opened the book, I realized how nice a design that pedestal is for a book display stand. I wonder if there’s something like it out there, but adjustable for different sizes.

8. bobcorrigan says:

My first thought upon starting the movie was, “Why are they letting a Wookie open the box?”  Gosh Almighty, the Box Opener has some Hairy Arms.

9. Pixel Smithy says:

Nice! I’ve got the entire set (all Covers) of the Paramount “Star Trek, The Magazine” available, if anyone is interested in a great gift for someone.

10. Halloween_Jack says:

I don’t really have room for this in my budget right now, but damn does that look sexy. I think that I may end up gifting myself instead with the Haynes manual for the Bird of Prey.

11. eobanb says:

Just checked out the images on Amazon…too bad Arial is still in use in the distant future?