9 Responses to “The effects of space travel on the human body (past and present)”

1. Wikipedia says that Mark Kelly is retired, so will he be re-employed for his role as a control?

2. Sean Bray says:

I have an idea for a 2 meter diameter cylindrical space bunk that would provide 1g gravity for 4 sleeping astronauts while spinning at 43-60rpm. I think it would extend the workable lifetime of long term astronauts by 1/3 to 1/2 the amount they could normally work. Who do I have to contact to get someone at NASA to look at my idea?

• Sorry but that sounds horrible. Every time you turn over Coriolis effects will mess with your inner ear. If you are going to have artificial gravity then use it for working areas where people need the exercise anyway.

• Boundegar says:

The system used in Star Wars and Star Trek is simpler and more cost-effective.

• Yeah why doesn’t NASA do that?

Seriously, there are some options available, but the structural requirements are significant and failure modes become much worse. For example, it is easier to control a fire in microgravity where convection can’t start. One option is to build two vehicles connected by a cable. The difference in the gravitational field along the cable provides real gravity in both parts of the system but if the cable breaks then the bottom component will drop towards Earth and the top component will fly up towards the Van Allen belts. I am unsure which is worse…

3. madopal says:

Well, if the space travel thing doesn’t work out, hey, we can fill the YouTubes with astronaut vids instead of cat videos, amirite?

4. Boundegar says:

I wonder why they study space travel so much, but we never hear about the effects of time travel?

5. Gilbert Wham says:

¬†Well, I’ve been traveling forwards for forty years now, and it pretty much sucks. I wanna swap and be in the traveling backwards group for a bit, if that’s ok.

6. robuluz says:

Can we postpone the manned mission to Mars and go drill some holes on Europa?